Dads birthday present.

/ Dads birthday present. #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
The last few years dad has been buying old IH tractors, ususally the offsets like A's Super A, Cub and 140's. He has several cubs and has wanted the mainline attachments for cultivation and such. When I was 16 I bought a Cub from him with the moldboard plow, blade, pickup disk, and cultivators. He said that the Cub was the first tractor they had growing up and it replaced one pair of mules.
They raised 20 acres of cotton and 20 of corn with 2 mules and a Cub. He said the most important plow they had was a disk breaker that was mid mounted for plowing heavy grownd or new ground with alot of trash. Dad said a good part of their work was breaking in new ground for others to. Dad now has 3 Cubs now and is wanting to keep one for cultivating his garden and to help me with my truck patching. He kept talking about how much he wanted a disk breaker and kept on. Last weekend Amy found a Great Dane pup she wanted and we went up there. I saw a tractor lot and they had tons of old implements. I was looking at a few things and saw a double belly disk breaker like a Super A ran. I hadnt seen one inperson and closer look next to it was a Cub Disk breaker. It was 150.00 I went back today to get the put and carried the cash to get the plow. His birthday is next weekend and my older brother and me will sand and paint it tomorrow then hide it. I couldnt beleive that it was so cheap when you can find them with a bad bearing they are at least 250 to 300. This one had very little slack in it.

/ Dads birthday present. #2  
The last few years dad has been buying old IH tractors, ususally the offsets like A's Super A, Cub and 140's. He has several cubs and has wanted the mainline attachments for cultivation and such. When I was 16 I bought a Cub from him with the moldboard plow, blade, pickup disk, and cultivators. He said that the Cub was the first tractor they had growing up and it replaced one pair of mules.
They raised 20 acres of cotton and 20 of corn with 2 mules and a Cub. He said the most important plow they had was a disk breaker that was mid mounted for plowing heavy grownd or new ground with alot of trash. Dad said a good part of their work was breaking in new ground for others to. Dad now has 3 Cubs now and is wanting to keep one for cultivating his garden and to help me with my truck patching. He kept talking about how much he wanted a disk breaker and kept on. Last weekend Amy found a Great Dane pup she wanted and we went up there. I saw a tractor lot and they had tons of old implements. I was looking at a few things and saw a double belly disk breaker like a Super A ran. I hadnt seen one inperson and closer look next to it was a Cub Disk breaker. It was 150.00 I went back today to get the put and carried the cash to get the plow. His birthday is next weekend and my older brother and me will sand and paint it tomorrow then hide it. I couldnt beleive that it was so cheap when you can find them with a bad bearing they are at least 250 to 300. This one had very little slack in it.

Nice find. I'm sure your dad will appreciate the gift.

Can't image farming 40 acres with a Farmall A and a mule. I only have 10 acres and I'd hesitate to farm it with my 1951 Super A. I found it locally last year with a 6-ft mid mount sicklebar mower for $1300. Works fine, but the tranny needs a fix (won't shift into 1st).

/ Dads birthday present. #3  
Congrats on a good find and especially since it's going to be such a meaningful gift.

I'd love to see some before and after pics.

Eddie

/ Dads birthday present.
Flusher thats a good price on a Super A with a mower. Dad and grandpa used a Cub, then later had an A and a Super A. All the farms here were mainly small operations. Dad was the 2nd oldest out of his family and had to plow with the pair of mules mostly. Grandpa got the Cub. They even had a fixed platform to ride to town one on the weekends. A few folks with 20 hogs or so had a concrete pad they fed on and a Cub was usuall ythere with a blade to keep it clean. Back then the dis plow was handy about cuttin in the new ground, the state sent a man around that would measure acreage of cotton and ou were only allowwed so much. This was to keep the market from being flooded. Dad told me after the first year or 2 of this grandpa would go around the feild with the disk breaker breaking 10 more feet every year but keeping in the shape as the feild. Every year the inspector told them that feild was in good shap keep it up. Dad said the feild gained about 3 acres before it was over.

Ive honestly farmed 5 acres with a Cub and its not that bad if you stay at it and go steady, it was frome breaking ground and disking to picking the actual crop. I like using the old tractors around the place, not as handy as the 3000 Yanmar but still interesting ho it was to use them in the old days. Im trying to incorporate them in my truck patching and hobby farm work as much as I can. Right now I want to build a loose hay buck to cut the hay with a cycle bar mower and dump rake.
Eddie when I unload it tomorrow Ill take a few pics and start on the sanding. Dads done started adding on to his garden for next yers so theres gonna be some new ground for some demonstraions pics. I have one person already wanting to see if I can make a smaller one to go on his 20 hp Yanmars 3 point to cut up new deer plots.