Dad's old tractor-need assistance

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #1  

Tom Best

Gentlemen

I would really appreciate some help.

I'm trying to decide whether my dad's old tractor is worth hauling a couple hundred miles to my little 15 acre spread for light mowing and post hole digging duties. He passed away last year and it has been idle since. I got out there today hooked up a battery charger and it started right up. The diesel runs strong; no leaks.

The clock says 4500 hours, and I believe it. The big tires are about 50% and one is flat. The other tires are medium to poor but I recall him saying he had gotten 14 ply aircraft tires so maybe they just look rattier than they really are.

I will try to attach pictures [I can't seem to figure that out sorry for the links].

Any help with a general identification of model or year would be great. I found the engine plate but no tractor serial number or model. At least not where I thought it should be based on my research. Or anywhere else.

Is it worth investing a couple of thousand into this old soldier for transport and tire rehab?

Many thanks

Tom

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19836228@N06/14267990333/sizes/z/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19836228@N06/14061154228/sizes/z/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19836228@N06/14267989713/sizes/z/

Last edited:
   / Dad's old tractor-need assistance #4  
wHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE MONEY ?

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #5  
A total guess, but looks to be a early 70s 2030 series
and
Yes!

TractorData.com John Deere 2030 tractor information

I think that's a pretty good guess. It looks a lot like a larger version of my 820, which is a early 70's 3 cyl diesel, which I bought 20 yrs ago when it had 4200 hrs on it. now at 5800 hrs. It should be more than capable of performing the work you described.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance
Thanks. The 2030 looks right.

Would anyone be able to point me to a basic checklist for fluids and routine maintenance? I turn a wrench now and again on my vehicles but have never owned a tractor.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #7  
I've seen tires in worse shape do great service for many years. As long as the wind stays in them run them, run them. You would have to spend a lot of dollars to get a comparable tractor. Go for it.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #8  
Thanks. The 2030 looks right.

Would anyone be able to point me to a basic checklist for fluids and routine maintenance? I turn a wrench now and again on my vehicles but have never owned a tractor.

SN plate will be under seat on RH side. Trans/hyd oil dipstick is on the RH rear footrest. Check with engine idling. If oil is needed use JD Hy-Gard or it's equivalent. I'm curious why fenders are installed backwards.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #9  
Model no on right side just above the front axle stenseld into the bolster below the mesh

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #10  
Model no on right side just above the front axle stenseld into the bolster below the mesh

I was thinking 40 series were the 1st models with SN tag on RH side of frame above frt axle.