Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti

/ Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti
I see everywhere that it is said fuel is cut, but I have a Jap job where the air is cut....it is a bit of a headache as have a small leak ATM in manifold, so you cannot shut it off normally when warm. It is impossible it seems to get all the manifold bolts easily either....sigh.

The Jap tractor would be ok, but buying a FEL and having it fit here would cost as much as the used CK30, if I can get it for near a third of new price, I might buy anyway, while I wait for something in the DK range size to come along. I have an old Inter too, it is like a 434 but made here, prob is, no 4WD, and no hand brake and atrocious brakes for hilly areas, strong as an ox though and use it for any ground work, it wont break easy :)

Let me put it this way, I am not going to stand under the load, nor try and traverse sideways on a slope at speed, or while wet etc....

I never had the 3pl empty on any tractor, prob because I have no FEL, so the 3PL does it all :)

I was kinda wanting to use one of these 1200lb pallets as a counterweight, but something tells me, one on rear and one on front may be asking to break the tractor in half, even though they are rated.....I also saw some photos of one broken, the casting was not that thick, and I did not notice a thick bar from FEL to rear diff housing, I need to look a lot closer at many things if parting with money :)

/ Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti #13  
If you are at the limits of the fel for routinely anticipated tasks IMHO you are asking for trouble.

/ Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti #15  
My tractor is also a CK series and the next model up from yours, mine is a CK4010sehc, same frame and dimensions, just more horsepower with HST transmission.

Your frame will not break from a 1200lb load on the front, and a 1200lb counter load on the rear. I have already did that and the tractor frame handles it just fine. In the front was a 1200lb palletized shrink wrapped crate, on the rear was a 1300lb Kioti Medium duty rotary cutter. No problems for the tractor frame to handle the weight. It's not a "casted" frame but is a "hardened steel welded" frame.

I moved that 1200 lb pallet, off the 18 wheeler delivery truck and then 900 feet down a gravel road to my workshop. It was not stable with that load 3 feet or higher off the ground. At 15" above ground, stability was observed during the move.

I also observed, that a lighter counter weight like a 500lb box blade would have been equally adequate as a counter weight in moving that 1200 lb pallet. Stability was a function of forward movement speed and height of load above ground. Exercise caution.

Your transmission is a 2-range(Hi or Low) synchronize shuttle. Manual shifting to a range requires full stop. But once in that range you can shift on the fly with 8 forward and 8 Reverse gears.

Your fuel system is not a common rail.
It maybe natural aspiration with direct injection. Your 2009 model is right at the year most asian diesel manufacturers were shifting from natural aspiration to a common rail system. They typically followed Isuzu diesel practices, and when Isuzu switched in late 2009 to common rail, they all switched to common rail for 2010 sales year.

Not sure on your emmissions for your tractor. Year 2008 was mainly Tier2 for Dadong diesel engines. Year 2010 was mainly a Tier4 year. Not sure of 2009.

Remember, EPA mandated in 2008 that all diesel manufacturers sold in US must adhere to the Tier4 emmissions by 2012 for any engines larger than 25.5 Hp. Some like Dadong moved to Tier4 about 2 years earlier than required.

/ Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti #16  
I see everywhere that it is said fuel is cut, but I have a Jap job where the air is cut....it is a bit of a headache as have a small leak ATM in manifold, so you cannot shut it off normally when warm. It is impossible it seems to get all the manifold bolts easily either....sigh.

The Jap tractor would be ok, but buying a FEL and having it fit here would cost as much as the used CK30, if I can get it for near a third of new price, I might buy anyway, while I wait for something in the DK range size to come along. I have an old Inter too, it is like a 434 but made here, prob is, no 4WD, and no hand brake and atrocious brakes for hilly areas, strong as an ox though and use it for any ground work, it wont break easy :)

It's reasonable to stop a carburetted gasoline engine by cutting off the air. After all, in those type of fuel systems the differential air pressure is what also moves the fuel along. Stop the air and in doing so you stop the fuel.

But it isn't reasonable to stop a fuel injected engine by cutting the air. First of all it may not work at all - as you have found out. And if it works, it is going to leave the stalled engine with a load of fuel inside to dilute the oil, wash the lube out of the cylinder, and make for smokey rich starts.

My guess is an engine designed to stop that way may have other design flaws as well. There's no laws against dumb design.

And speaking of dumb design, there's no law against making modifications either. You can make that loader pick up anything you want by increasing the hydraulic pressure. Although an easier and better way is by changing to a larger diameter lifting cylinder. So bumping the capacity on flat ground to lift 1200 lb pallets is easy. If you do that, probably wise to figure out the next failure points - it may be the boom pivots - and beef those up as well.
rScotty

The engine on the Jap tractor is isuzu, they were used in cars early on too, prob also on small trucks, frankly, they are a gutless engine, but on a tractor in low range it is fine. The pump looks like most pumps, maybe I can work a way to cut the fuel, or, maybe there is a rod on the other side of the intake butterfly that also goes to the pump. But I doubt it, as said, now with small manifold leak, it continues to run, I have been wondering if there may be a cheap fix, maybe big gobs of heat resistant silicone.....

/ Daedong CK30 2009 500hrs - aka Kioti #18  
If I were mainly lifting pallets, a tractor would be the last thing I would consider. Why not a forklift, where you can actually see what your doing?

Re the lift capacity.

My main problems with what I do ATM is, my rear forks on 3pl can only go so high, so when pallets on my truck, I have to park it away off my property where there is a cutaway near road, and get tractor and drive it to the high side and then lift off.

Doing this means often chopping up my front lawn in a couple of places near my house block, also , dirt and dung etc falling off my tyres and onto the road making a mess.

This process is also very time consuming, it wastes half a day approx.

If I can drive in on my paddock & unload the 2 pallets from truck and 2 from trailer in a few minutes, or, say 10 mins realistically, it will prob cut an hr from the process or more. I do this twice a week ATM. I could also prob double stack on the truck. It also would make loading the empties far easier, in trailer I load with tractor, if I put any on truck, I have to lift them at 80 odd lbs each.

It may all be moot as the thing will prob go before I am ready to move, I know a tractor with FEL that can easily do 2200lbs would be better, but your not going to get that for 10-15k with relatively low hrs.

I sometimes get 1500lb hay bales, but I man handle them and push them off, then use existing 3pl fork to handle & is not a drama.

If anything came along with an FEL that could handle that, well it is either going to have godzillion hours, leaking and work needed everywhere, or some China thing that I wont touch, or an OLD FEL that will be just as difficult prob as the 3pl too use....

If I were mainly lifting pallets, a tractor would be the last thing I would consider. Why not a forklift, where you can actually see what your doing?

Yeah, it is a good point, but forklift would be confined to a very small area, and I would need to do some concreting and put in a road to get to where it is flat enough, not a long road.....

The tractor can be used for many other things, and even with a small bucket, I could do the road myself :) I have box blade with rippers on larger tractors, and the little jobby would lift it and move it all with the bucket, I am not going to try and barrow it.

Some may be seeing a theme, it is a lack of cash.

An old fork that is pretty well worn & will likely be on gas round here, is going to be approx half of this kioti in $$$, it may also be a can of worms problem wise, but lets assume it works ok, cement pad would prob be 8k, road, lets just say 1000 if I did it manually.

So the cost is higher now for the fork, and the fork can only be used on this slab for this type of thing, which may end at any time too, fork would be way easier too handle from operator perspective, I agree. I was thinking of using a manual one, they are cheap and reliable.....cement slab still costs.

That is the rationale behind a tractor, it would also be easier to sell if I did upgrade etc, a forklift....would not. WIth less than 500 hrs, it should have quite a life left in it too. It may end up down the track, that I do have a manual fork as well for this task.