Rotary Cutter Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter?

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #1  

keeney

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
What would be a resonable daily rental price for a small brush cutter to attach to my JD 4100?

I am trying to estimate if it would be cheaper for a buddy to borrow my tractor and rent the cutter or just hire somebody to come do the wokr for him.

- Rick

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #2  
The local rent all place here charges about $250 a day for a small tractor with a 5' brush hog delivered. I think the charge for the cutter by itself is like $60, but if rented by itself (without their tractor), the price goes up to over $100.

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #3  
Buddies borrowing tractors can get very expensive! For the lender.

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #4  
lending tractor often times leads to "former" friend.

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #5  
I would not lend my tractor to my mother! :eek: Because she already has her own!!!:)

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #6  
Would you have any use for the bush hog after your bud is done with it? for the rental price you could pay for a cutter with 2 uses. Maybe have your buddy buy a bush hog that you get to use? And anyone can "borrow" my tractor but it comes with me in the seat:) :)

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #7  
I agree 100% with FiremanPat...No one borrows the tractor, or my wife,..... I only rarely loan my tractor out.. however.. 100% of the time.. that i do loan it out.. I'm the operator.

I just don't like others driving my tractor. heck.. when i had CNH come pick up my 7610s for some hyd repair.. the flatbed driver had to remind me that 'HE' had to load the tractor.. i couldn't drive it up.. etc... In fact.. since I've owned that tractor.. the CNH service guys are the only ones other than myself that have driven it...

soundguy

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #8  
I agree with the last couple of posts, if I loan my tractor I come with it. This policy has worked out great for me.

I have started a business with my tractor and equipment. I work for close relatives, our church and neighbors for free. This is a great way to try out new things and I have picked up work from people at church who seen what can be done with my Kubota.

ksmmoto

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter? #9  
If I ever lent my tractor out (Which I'll never do), I'm sure the engine wouldn't sound right, be ticking differently or the hydraulics would seem to be operating differently than before I lent it out. I feel I'll keep more friends by not letting them use my tractor because if something went wrong with it my blood pressure would be quite high which wouldn't be a good thing...I learned how to say NO to people........If they are your friends they'll understand.

/ Daily Rental Price for Small Brush Cutter?
Follow up on loaning out the tractor:

Well, the tractor came back and it only had minor damage. Truck and trailer were fine.

We decided he should just have a try at it with the mid-mount-mower. I figured worst case he would burn out the deck belt, otherwise probably can't hurt the thing too bad just mowing knee-high weeds (nothing thicker than a finger he claimed). H was willing to replace the belt if needed and chacked on prices and availability of the part. He said it worked OK if a little slow. Most areas he had to go over a couple few times because the heavy stuff would just lay over. Other areas were very slow going due to too much voume for the mower to digest quickly.

Theother thing he said was he had to keep stopping to clean out the radiator. I am glad he was smart enough to stop and rectify the situation of the overheat light coming on instead of just (literally) steaming ahead. (Anybody else have problems with radiator cloggage while mowing dry weeds with a JD 4100 or similar?)

Then, just as he was finishing up, he said one of the lift arms for the mid-mount mower lost a cotter and clevis pin. Was about 10 minutes of my time and about $3 to stop and pick up a new pin and cotter on the way home.

All and all, it cost me:
$3 cash
4+ heavy use hours on the meter, and
about an hour of my time to hookup my trailer, load and unload the tractor, show him how to use it and pickup and install a replacement pin.

But he filled the tractor, my 6 gal diesel can and my truck with fuel (all were about 3/4 when he took them), so thats probably $20 I'm ahead on the deal.

I saved him about $250 to $400 it would have cost him to have somebody else mow his undeveloped small acreage lot. I think it was a favor worth doing from my point of view - makes me feel good to help a buddy out.

- Rick