damaged backhoe stabilizing piston

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #11  
File it flat, clean with carb spray, flux the heck out of it, lay some silver solder in there, file flat again.. polish with 1000 or 2000 paper.. and go.

Fully extend cyl.. so solder area is not near seal/wipe. it is is near seal/wipe, lay a wet hand rag on the seal/wipe.

Soundguy

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #12  
On our bikes front ends, we use super glue to fill in particularly deep gouges that leak (after file / emery cloth)

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #13  
When that stuff flakes off in the cyl.. it will be just like any other foreign mattert hat you don't want circulating in the system.. plugging screens, holding relief valves open.. etc.

Goops are not the fix for hyd systems. Even stuff like 'paint' on a piston contaminates the oil.

Soldering it with silver solder, or brass.. or replacing the piston is the real answer.

Soundguy

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #14  
AndyMA said:
BTW, the cylinder guads are pieces of channel iron that are about as long as the cylinder with have holes to be pinned to the lower cylinder pin. The upper end just lays on the cylinder and floats with it.

Andy

Great idea on the guards. I guess I should make some. Have a
pix for show-and-tell?

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #15  
Use a fine file to take off any high spots that might tear the seals, then try it. Should only leak (if it does) when raising the landing gear. If it leaks too badly have it rebuilt, an amateur machinest trying to DIY with silver solder will probably wind up with a cylinder that requires a cylinder shop to fix IMHO. On mine I live with a few drops of leakage as I am in rock all the time.(I even have a spare hose on hand after snapping a fitting or two back in the bush and trying to figure out how to raise the gear to drive home)

/ damaged backhoe stabilizing piston #16  
pat32rf said:
, an amateur machinest trying to DIY with silver solder will probably wind up with a cylinder that requires a cylinder shop to fix IMHO.

Explain.

Silver solder is pretty easy to work with.. esier than magic 'glue's' that other people are recomending.

Fill the pit and file down. All the person really needs to be carefull with is the filing.

Besides.. if it don't work.. then likely a cyl shop would have been needed to repair/repalce the piston anyway. And if you have the piston out.. who re-uses old wipes and packing? so that is not an issue.. etc.

Silver solder and steel work well together. Got a double barrel shotgun, or a pump with a rib on it.. wanna guess what it is held together with?

Soundguy