Damned Trans Strainer 4035

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #1  

tjus77

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Tried to clean/change strainer and could get it back in without taking more than I wanted to apart (one but I couldn't figure out to take off with my big paws). I needed to get some work done before the rain that was coming and I read where someone left their strainer out and it was fine. So I left mine out. The only issue is the 3point seems to be very jerky now even with the control knob turned down.

Anyone else leave the strainer out without issue? Should I bite the bullet and pay the dealer to put it in? 200 hours and I changed fluid and filter.

Thanks

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #2  
I'd get it put back in. I actually had to forego cleaning mine the first service as I couldn't get the bolts out without removing the tire for room to work and no time to go into all that at that time.

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #3  
I just did a complete servicing on a 4530 including removing the strainer. I spoke with the dealer and they said it was not necessary. I removed the connecting tube to the filter and removed the filter screen. I followed the service manual and washed it in diesel and blew it dry with an air hose. The tube the filter is housed in was full of gunk which surprised me. I inserted the screen filter and conned the housing cover and bolted the connection back in place. No leaks so I must have put the screen and filter on OK. I was surprised how much crap was in the screen. The service manual recommends running all the hydraulic systems including the power steering to purge the air out. I my have gotten lucky, who knows.

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #4  
In the future, someone posted that on the 35 series there is a same sized opening covered in with a O-ringed plate directly on the other side of the sump housing. This allows you to remove the screen, clean all the mud out of it, then put it back in without dealing with the big hoses on the right side of the sump. If it was my tractor, I would put the screen back in... but that's just me.... :)

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035
In the future, someone posted that on the 35 series there is a same sized opening covered in with a O-ringed plate directly on the other side of the sump housing. This allows you to remove the screen, clean all the mud out of it, then put it back in without dealing with the big hoses on the right side of the sump. If it was my tractor, I would put the screen back in... but that's just me.... :)

My model had a plate to remove but you couldn't get the strainer out. Just the end of it sticking out

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #6  
My model had a plate to remove but you couldn't get the strainer out. Just the end of it sticking out

I have not tried it yet myself. The hole was not big enough...??? The screen is just slid over a pipe with a rubber seal on the other end... if it is big enough, it should come out [ I would think ].... ???

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035
Rubber seal was the only thing sticking out

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #8  
I just did the 50 hour on my 4550. The dealer told me not to bother with the strainer that I wouldn't find anything there and was just wasting time. I planned on removing it but added my hydraulic fluid and then remembered it. Hope the dealer was right.

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #9  
I am going to un-subscribe on this thread,,,, I can't afford to lay unsleeping each night worrying about all the folks that have gray sludge plugged screens on their shinny new Mahindra's.... Life is too short.... BYE....!!!!!!! :)

/ Damned Trans Strainer 4035 #10  
Tried to clean/change strainer and could get it back in without taking more than I wanted to apart (one but I couldn't figure out to take off with my big paws). I needed to get some work done before the rain that was coming and I read where someone left their strainer out and it was fine. So I left mine out. The only issue is the 3point seems to be very jerky now even with the control knob turned down.

Anyone else leave the strainer out without issue? Should I bite the bullet and pay the dealer to put it in? 200 hours and I changed fluid and filter.

Thanks
I just did this work today on my 3540. Was it a pain? Yes. Was the fluid still clean? Yes. Was the screen dirty with a bunch of metal shavings? Kind of. Do I have peace of mind after spending 100 bucks by changing the filter, cleaning the screen an putting in fresh oil? Yes!

So the screen really is a pain to take off and put back in. It's just not designed well. Next time I will see if I can take it off through the left side as other have said is an option. Just doesn't seem like it has the clearance since it's about 10 inches long though.

Happy to share more detail if anyone has questions. Just message me.