Danfoss or KYB transmission

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission #1  

Bonzoretro

Tractor
2015 Dig It M2208
I am a complete novice. I bought a small outdated backhoe loader, called a Dig It M2208.

It came with a parts, manual, but not an operation manual.

I have a question about engaging the drive transmission.

At what rpm setting do you try to move the machine forward or backward?

My instinct says low rpm, but want to verify with people who know.

I tried it at mid range RPM, and it made quite a bit of whining sound when attempting to move forward.

Some research told me that I have a Danfoss or KYB transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2169BA01-74CA-4B65-92EE-FB4DA91D4B46.jpeg
    2169BA01-74CA-4B65-92EE-FB4DA91D4B46.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 68
   / Danfoss or KYB transmission #2  
Welcome to the forum. A few questions for you:
1. Did the tractor move at all when you tried midrange throttle?
2. Did you try both fwd and rev? Any difference?
3. Can you physically see the transmission? Any pics could possibly help.

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission #3  
I am a complete novice. I bought a small outdated backhoe loader, called a Dig It M2208.

It came with a parts, manual, but not an operation manual.

I have a question about engaging the drive transmission.

At what rpm setting do you try to move the machine forward or backward?

My instinct says low rpm, but want to verify with people who know.

I tried it at mid range RPM, and it made quite a bit of whining sound when attempting to move forward.

Some research told me that I have a Danfoss or KYB transmission.

Thanks in advance.
Looking it appears to be a hydrostatic drive, so whining when moving would be normal, the whining will be louder if it is working harder, so make sure you don't have a parking brake set.
I would also check your hydraulic fluid levels, you may have completely separate hydraulic systems for driving versus running implements, so there may be more than one hydraulic tank and low hydraulic fluid level will cause a whine.

On brands, Danfoss is a big manufacturer of hydraulic pumps.

On shifting, I am not sure what you mean, do you shift from "digging" to "driving" mode? If so, can you post a picture of the selector lever?

Those are usually made to be run by people who rent them for the weekend and work them as hard as they can, so they are usually set with safeties lower than the failure point and made to operate as simply as possible.

Aaron Z

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission #4  
Hydrostatic transmissions are best operated at mid rpm to full rpm.
As Doaaj50 asked though, did the tractor move forward or backward? Also, some whining is expected, but how much or how irritating is the question.

Also, look at the hydraulic oil color/condition. Is it a clear, amber color or milky? Milky indicates water in the oil and needs to be changed

Last edited:
   / Danfoss or KYB transmission #5  
Last edited:
   / Danfoss or KYB transmission #6  
Hydrostatic transmissions are best operated at mid rpm to full rpm.
As Doaaj50 asked though, what did the tractor move forward or backward? Also, some whining is expected, but how much or how irritating is the question.

Also, look at the hydraulic oil color/condition. Is it a clear, amber color or milky? Milky indicates water in the oil and needs to be changed
Excellent point on milky fluid, I picked up a walk behind push around "forklift" for cheap that "wouldn't stay up", it wouldn't stay up because the oil tank cap was missing and the oil tank was half full of water and the rest resembled congealed turkey drippings.
The pump sounded horrendous as it would pump the water/oil mixture that still flowed and then it couldn't suck the rest through the inlet screen.

IMG_20230107_154749395.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission
Looking it appears to be a hydrostatic drive, so whining when moving would be normal, the whining will be louder if it is working harder, so make sure you don't have a parking brake set.
I would also check your hydraulic fluid levels, you may have completely separate hydraulic systems for driving versus running implements, so there may be more than one hydraulic tank and low hydraulic fluid level will cause a whine.

On brands, Danfoss is a big manufacturer of hydraulic pumps.

On shifting, I am not sure what you mean, do you shift from "digging" to "driving" mode? If so, can you post a picture of the selector lever?

Those are usually made to be run by people who rent them for the weekend and work them as hard as they can, so they are usually set with safeties lower than the failure point and made to operate as simply as possible.

Aaron Z
Thanks Aron,
Your information helps me a lot. For clarification, at what rpm setting do I try to move the machine forward or reverse?

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission
Excellent point on milky fluid, I picked up a walk behind push around "forklift" for cheap that "wouldn't stay up", it wouldn't stay up because the oil tank cap was missing and the oil tank was half full of water and the rest resembled congealed turkey drippings.
The pump sounded horrendous as it would pump the water/oil mixture that still flowed and then it couldn't suck the rest through the inlet screen.

View attachment 781200

Aaron Z
I will look for any turkey drippings!
Thanks!

/ Danfoss or KYB transmission #10  
Thanks Aron,
Your information helps me a lot. For clarification, at what rpm setting do I try to move the machine forward or reverse?
As I said, hydrostats work best at mid to high rpm. The feathering of the speed is done through the hydrostat transmission, not the engine as in a clutch unit.