DC Welding

/ DC Welding #1  

bigdad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Need some guidance......

I've been splattering around the shop with an old Wards stickwelder for the past 15 years. Recently I got my hands on a nice little Miller "Thunderbolt" AC/DC package.

Question: What is the advantge of using the DC option? Control?

Thanks in advance....... Big Dad

/ DC Welding #2  
bigdad said:
Need some guidance......

I've been splattering around the shop with an old Wards stickwelder for the past 15 years. Recently I got my hands on a nice little Miller "Thunderbolt" AC/DC package.

Question: What is the advantge of using the DC option? Control?

Thanks in advance....... Big Dad

DC output adds better control on thin work and easier out-of-position welding, as well as fewer arc outages, less sticking and spatter.

I pulled that out of a Miller ad. However I have wondered why the same welder puts out 225 amps AC but only 150 amps DC. I am sure the answer is simple and obvious but for some reason I have never run across an explanation.

/ DC Welding
Thanks Casey.....

I suppose that the rectification of the AC to DC drops some voltage. I wouldn't think that the amperage would be cut in half.

Sounds like I got a nicer unit than I had.

/ DC Welding #4  
DC you can run low hydrogen rod higher strength welds also easer to weld muitl-position but low hydrogen rod is a little harder to run and make nice looking welds the rod is more sentisive to moisture too.

/ DC Welding #5  
A good DC welder will give you good reactance in the arc. This will mean soft starts, stable arc, smooth weld metal xfer. DC reverse (electrode +) will give deeper penetration and keep most od the heat on the electrode. Thin sheet metal can be welded in DC Rev by flattening the rod angle and using a high iron powder coated rod.
These are just some of the things I like about DC welding.
May I suggest you purchase some 1/8" Lincoln 6013 rod (Lowes or HD) and see how smooth DC will weld. Slag will fall right off when the weld cools and the bead will look great.

/ DC Welding
Thanks Shaley!

I knew you guys would have some great tips and experience.

/ DC Welding #7  
Check out RMS and how it compairs to peak , and peak to peak AC voltages, and DC votlage.

That may help you some... that and ohms law.. etc..

soundguy

Casey1 said:
DC output adds better control on thin work and easier out-of-position welding, as well as fewer arc outages, less sticking and spatter.

I pulled that out of a Miller ad. However I have wondered why the same welder puts out 225 amps AC but only 150 amps DC. I am sure the answer is simple and obvious but for some reason I have never run across an explanation.

/ DC Welding #8  
Soundguy said:
Check out RMS and how it compairs to peak , and peak to peak AC voltages, and DC votlage.

That may help you some... that and ohms law.. etc..

soundguy

"standard" utility electrical service - are the voltages Peak to Peak, or RMS? I've always assumed RMS, but never really had any reason to find out for sure.

/ DC Welding #9  
Welding with DC is something I have always wanted to try but have not yet been able to find the justification for buying a DC welder when I already have a couple AC welders. If I buy another welder it will be an AC/DC or straight DC. I have heard that the the DC weld is cleaner, smoother, easier to strike and hold an arc.
I have a welding question, I am looking of information on 9013 (also called SAE9) welding rod has anyone here used this rod and if so where can it be purchased?

/ DC Welding #10  
That may be it, RMS ac amps = 225 x .707 = 159

That is, the ac amps are not quite real, but the dc ones are!

Mike