de-thatcher for field?

/ de-thatcher for field? #1  

bubbu55

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
Hey guys, I need some input on what to use. I want to de-thatch my field and use it for compost. I was wondering what I should buy, a de-thatcher or harrow rake? My field is roughly 7 acres and I will also do my lawn. Any suggestions on what I would be better off using and what brands are good quality that won't break the bank?

/ de-thatcher for field? #2  
Have a look at Everything Attachments Pine Straw rake. I know they market it as a pine straw rake but a lot of the reviewers use it for de-thatching.

/ de-thatcher for field? #3  
I don't know if you are thinking of doing this often or one and done. Perhaps consider renting a power sweep for your tractor. The town guys use one in the spring on the edge of our crush a run road to get the stone off of the grass. I was impressed how well it dethatched the grass.

/ de-thatcher for field?
No, it won't be one and done. I'll do it yearly or as needed. I want something that I can use to de-thatch and put everything in my compost pile. So I guess I'm looking for something that will de-thatch and somehow drag it to a certain spot so I can get it to my pile.

/ de-thatcher for field? #5  
I suggest a Three Point Hitch mounted FRAMED CHAIN HARROW.

You will not want a drag Chain Harrow as manually lifting and cleaning it after every row will be too tedious.

Several outfits offer framed Chain Harrows. Note that ABI has 1/2" rather than 3/8" "chain". In all ground contact work, weight is your friend.

LINK: 3 Point Chain Harrows ::ABI Attachments::

I own a CMP (tined) Lawn Dethatcher. Great for a smooth 1/2 to 1-1/2 acre lawn. I would not recommend it for use on uneven pasture. I am skeptical a Pine Straw Rake, which is also tined, will hold up in regular pasture use. The spindly tines would likely bend or break loose from the attachment fittings.

A suspended, Framed Chain Harrow is a more robust implement and, being flexible, will follow the contours in your field.

Attachments

• DSC00253.jpg
    DSC00253.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 408
Last edited:
   / de-thatcher for field? #6  
If you want to windrow the thatch for easy pick up or in my case burning, get an old side delivery rake (3pt) and set it so the tines hit the ground. It will put all the dead grass and everything in a windrow. For the lawn I would just rent one form the local rental company - let them do the maintenance.

/ de-thatcher for field? #7  
I had the same problem a while ago. Couldn't find anything that would follow uneven ground and remove thatch without tearing up either the ground or the implement. So I made this. It has spring tines, and secondary springs on each tine to allow easier conforming to uneven ground. It works well, and even better now that I have a top/tilt setup with floating side link.

Attachments

• r7.JPG
    r7.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 369
   / de-thatcher for field? #8  
If you want to windrow the thatch for easy pick up or in my case burning, get an old side delivery rake (3pt) and set it so the tines hit the ground. It will put all the dead grass and everything in a windrow.

This is new to me.

Is this a Landscape Rake, with adjustable offset, or something I have yet to encounter? Perhaps a specialty hay implement? Please supply a brand name so I can research.

Thank you.

/ de-thatcher for field? #10  
Great videos. I learned something new today. There is a lot of hay produced around where I live in Florida, even more fifty miles north.

I have not seen a side delivery hay rake used around here, but certainly that is not definitive.

Used Side Delivery Hay Rakes on eBay seem to be ~~~$1,500~~~

LINK: Hay Rake | eBay

Last edited: