Dead perkins....(ie, help...)

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...)
Well all.... ??

Call the dogs off. I rummaged through some old clothes, put on the dirtiest things I could find... in general, got ready for some engine climbing and getting dirty.

Went out to field.. thought.. hmm.. are the linkages working? (maybe if cable broke, throttle is pulled closed by the return spring and THAT could be preventing it from getting fuel??) Linkages are ok... rats.

Well.. let's turn engine over..what the heck..

As I crank it, it turned and turned and turned... then... I noticed a singular puff of smoke from exhaust.

Hmm.. I cranked again and it turned and turned and turned.. puff puff..chugga chugga...

VROOOOOOOOOOOM

Started right up and purred like a kitten.

Sort of like Brutus was looking at me saying.. "Man..what's your problem?"

I topped off fuel, stopped engine, restarted, and it cranked right up just as easy as ever, as though nothing had ever happened.

I am utterly clueless but I DO appreciate everyones input.

I'm left wondering... can TLB's be possessed by poltergeists? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously though, thanks again for input. I did not know that WD-40 would help an engine sputter to life, (in a diagonistic sense) so yet again, I've learned something here.

ya know... this website ought to be part of some college curriculum /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Richard

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #22  
<font color=blue>...VROOOOOOOOOOOM...</font color=blue>

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year is off to a great start for ya.... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Now... get some clean and fresh fuel! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #23  
That's a nice new years present hearing the perkins doing what's it's supposed to do.

"this website ought to be part of some college curriculum "

Golly, you do dat and I'll be left out after the first exams results are posted!!!
Egon

<font color=blue>Now... get some clean and fresh fuel! </font color=blue>

I usually keep Brutus topped off and as often as weekly, or maybe monthly, refill my 5-gallon containers. All fuel comes from local co-op.

I HOPE that means I have as fresh of fuel as I can have??

None the less... all seems good now. Sure is frustrating having the wifey tell me to move an 18,000 pound eyesore when it won't even sputter for me.

Maybe I can get her to help push? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #25  
Glad to see you got her running. Too bad we'll never know the cause.

I really have to ask, what is a perkins?

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #26  
As far as I am concerned the Perkins and maybe the Valtra are the best diesel engines 200 hp and under there is. Perkins engines have been installed in lots of different tractors and equipment for a lot of years. I can't remember the years, but Massey bought Perkins (early 60's?). When agribusiness got so bad in the 80-90's and Massey almost went belly up, Perkins was sold to Caterpillar.

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #27  
I have no idea how many different kinds of machines are powered by Perkins diesels, but tractors, boats, generators, and in 1967 when the old Dallas Transit System bought their first air-conditioned busses, they came with Perkins diesel engines.

<font color=blue>I really have to ask, what is a perkins? </font color=blue>

I'll presume they have answered your question with FAR more brevity than I'd been able /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #29  
<font color=blue>...I really have to ask, what is a perkins?...</font color=blue>

Well.... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif It has to be one of the best dang diesel engines ever designed... and then some.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #30  
Glad to hear you got it running...Liquid Wrench will work, too. Just about anything that's petroleum based will work. You can even use a propane torch, just don't light it! :)