Dead Racoons?

/ Dead Racoons? #11  
Thanks for the replies.

The raccoons had not been dead long when I discovered them Sunday afternoon -- they had not yet attracted flies.

I am now thinking the raccoons died of poisoning.

Two raccoons dying of rabies at the same time and place seems too much of a coincidence. I didn't inspect the remains closely, but I did not see any blood from gunshot wounds. The field is close enough to my farmhouse for me to have heard any shooting. I know that my two nearest neighbors haven't been using poison, but I have noticed that several dogs I used to see down the road have disappeared in the last month or so.

Does anyone know the "typical" range of travel of raccoons?

Steve
They don't travel far from what I know. They do have a predictable population cycle but that shows up with weight loss and strange behavior (like roaming at mid-day). You sure there are no .22 holes in there? A .22 doesn't make much noise.

/ Dead Racoons? #12  
Flybait, prolly mixed to 10 step strength.

/ Dead Racoons? #13  
Thanks for the replies.

The raccoons had not been dead long when I discovered them Sunday afternoon -- they had not yet attracted flies.

Two raccoons dying of rabies at the same time and place seems too much of a coincidence. I didn't inspect the remains closely, but I did not see any blood from gunshot wounds. The field is close enough to my farmhouse for me to have heard any shooting. I know that my two nearest neighbors haven't been using poison, but I have noticed that several dogs I used to see down the road have disappeared in the last month or so.

Steve

Even with poison, the two of them staying together and dying so close to each other is strange in itself.

/ Dead Racoons? #14  
Thanks for the replies.

Steve

If they have been poisoned any animal that eats the will also be poisoned.
If you have pets better bury them deep.

/ Dead Racoons? #15  
Seems suspicious. Were there any pallets in that corn field?

/ Dead Racoons? #16  
Steve,
You might be able to isolate the range of your dead raccoons if you match them up with the range discriptions under Social Behavior in the Wikipedia article. It can be from 7.4 to 12,000 acres according to variables that you probably have observed regarding the ones you found. Raccoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Dead Racoons? #17  
Steve,
You might be able to isolate the range of your dead raccoons if you match them up with the range discriptions under Social Behavior in the Wikipedia article. It can be from 7.4 to 12,000 acres according to variables that you probably have observed regarding the ones you found. Raccoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Dead Racoons? #18  
Steve,

/ Dead Racoons? #19  
Steve,

/ Dead Racoons? #20  
Steve,