Dealer Displeasure

/ Dealer Displeasure #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
It's been about a week now and I think I've calmed down enough to discuss this...
I have just had a very *&^#@$**%!!! experience with my (ex) kubota dealer.
I started this in a different thread back in January (a leak in my B21 1/10/01).
I bought a new B21 from a Northern California dealer and the front end loader cylinder began leaking after 28 hours use. I called the dealer - he wouldn't come look at it - but said to bring it in and he will fix it. I took the loader arm off and brough it to him. He replaced the seals but the cylinder had some bumps due to particles on the arm prior to chrome that would soon damage the seals so he ordered a new cylinder arm. He said he would have the new part in a couple of days. I didn't hear from him again for months!! When I called him in MAY he said Oh yes we have it right here but wanted me to bring the whole tractor up. So I had to take half a day off, rent trailer ($80), load it, drive to his shop. Then he attempted to replace the cylinder - turns out something was wrong with the new part - didn't match exactly. They will have to reorder. Take my tractor back, return the trailer etc. I mentioned at this time how I was disappointed with his attentivness in contacting me and getting this thing fixed. He assured me they would get this part and contact me A.S.A.P. The seals hold up through the summer and the tractor is at job sites most of the time so I keep working. BTW i was disappointed with the cosmetics of their work as the cylinder arm paint was chipped off where he just clamped bare metal in a vise, the hose were not nylon strapped back like original and there was grease from handling it. They didn't even wipe it off after reinstalling it.
October passses I call and evidentially the parts are there. They just never contacted me. He defends his inability to contact me with "is it too hard for you to pick up the phone?" i couldn't believe it.
He also insist I bring the whole tractor not just the cylinder arm. I don't want to go thru the hassle and cost of a trailer rental for him to fix a cylinder arm. We debate (!) the issue. he is adament and even hangs up on me!!! I go ballistic and call him continuously until he finally relents saying "you sure are persistent aren't you" and says to bring the arm up and he will just trade. I was so persistent because I felt he should finish a job he started and cannot just shirk his responsiblities as a dealer whenever he wants. After all he was real good at accepting the $30 thousand dalooar check when i bought it.
I've contacted Kubota to complain about this guy and discussed this with two other dealers and know how this should have been dealt with. Kubota says they havn't had any complaints about this dealer. One other dealer says yeah they have gotten several customers from their lack of service.
So eleven months later, I put the new on arm, so far everything is good and I will go all the way to a Vermont dealer before they will touch my tractor again. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
There I vented and feel better.

/ Dealer Displeasure #2  
That guy shouldn't be in the business - clearly doesn't know what a customer is. Sorry to hear of someone wasting your time and effort like that. If he keeps that kind of attitude his business will eventually fall in on him. When you go to the auction maybe you can make eye contact.

/ Dealer Displeasure
That would be sweet.
Ironcally we went out of our way to this dealer. His Dad used to run it and we got along great with him. It's just the hausband/wife team running it now that don't understand customer service.
One dealer I've talked to says that in his surprise and utter disgust that a new Kubota would leak, he would have immediately taken one off of one on the lot and come down and installed it, then dealt with the problem diectly with Kubota himself (of course big talk is cheap but the previous dealer couldn't even talk big)

/ Dealer Displeasure #4  
mdbarb,
I recall your initial post on this problem. Hard to believe a dealer like that can stay in business. Why don't you give the fellow some free advertisement and provide his name. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Al

/ Dealer Displeasure #5  
Oh my, you did say $30,000.00 dollars (GULP) for a compact tractor?! Guess I fell asleep (call it a coma) in the 70's.

Raptor

/ Dealer Displeasure
That was the total price for the tractor and all the implements I purchased from him

/ Dealer Displeasure #7  
md

I know how you feel.

It is so rare these days to get any service, let along good service.

Customers are the most important thing in business. The hardest part is getting them into the store, keeping them there is easy, but most dealers don't care about that.

I found a great real estate agent to sell our house, and he was so good, I wrote him company a letter and slipped him an extra $100. I was so happy.

Hope it all works out.

I'd take that tractor back and start rearranging his shop front. I'm sure then he'd talk !!!

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dealer Displeasure #8  
this happens in every type of type of service business. it doesn't matter if it is a truck, boat or tv. the good news is there are alot of great dealers out there. it costs so much money to get a customer and this guy will @#!# over a simple repair. it will be his loss over time . 1 bad customer will do more harm than 100 good customers can do.

/ Dealer Displeasure #9  
10 at-a-boys to cover 1 o-$hoot!Thats what grandad always said.