Dealers - How Far is Too Far

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #11  
Wait till you need parts or service, thern you will be wishing for that local dealer.

I really don't understand why some people think they have to have a dealer close by. We bought the L3240 out of state to save sales tax. It was about a 15 hour trip each way.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #12  
Wait till you need parts or service, thern you will be wishing for that local dealer.
You can get parts on the internet and cheaper. If I can't fix it myself it is probably too broke for the local dealer anyway. Like I said earlier any dealer is happy to take your money even if you didn't buy your tractor from them. Out of 6 tractors the only repair we have had to make besides hydraulic hoses was a water pump.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #13  
If you are doing any time sensitive work with your tractor, like farm work, it tends to be more important that your dealer is closer. Years ago, there was no web based parts network, and farmers tended to run the type tractor that the nearest dealer had parts for. Today, it is less important... unless you are the type person that needs someone to do all your wrenching for you. Most folks these days, if they can do their own work and have access to a computer... can get by just fine with parts shipped in by USPS/FedEx/UPS.... My closest John Deere or Mahindra dealer was several hours away and I slept real good at night with that setup. Now I have a Mahindra dealer about 10 miles away, and still have not needed him. Most dealers stock basic stuff for your tractor, and still need major parts to be drop shipped from the main parts depot..... just like you would be getting a package shipped to you. So, do what seems practical to you... Out here in the country, there are all types of cars and trucks being bought and driven by folks. Chevy/GMC/Ford/Chrysler dealers are common... but Honda/Toyota/etc are few and far between. Folks still buy and drive them though....

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #14  
I think it depends on how handy you are and if you have a trailer and time. I appreciate my local dealer. I don't have a trailer because I am afraid my BIL's will expect to use my BX on their properties. I know, not very brotherly but it seems when I lend a tool it comes back dirty or broke. Trying to learn a lesson and not do that with my tractor. Anyways, my local dealer lends me one of their trailers to haul equipment in and back with no charge. Used that offer once for a broken brake linkage that cost me virtually nothing. Normally though I fix things.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #15  
Maybe you could find a local farmer with a shop to do repairs you can't handle. I have a friend that does repair work for all the local farmers in my area out of his own shop. He does great work and it's much cheaper than the dealers charge.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #16  
Maybe you could find a local farmer with a shop to do repairs you can't handle. I have a friend that does repair work for all the local farmers in my area out of his own shop. He does great work and it's much cheaper than the dealers charge.
Great idea if you can find someone... the dealer charge is always exorbitant. Definitely learn to do the maintenance yourself. Small repairs are fairly easy if you have tools. I do try to buy parts from my local dealer. I like having them around to ask questions.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #17  

No doubt that can be true. But given the brands the OP is considering for his new tractor, it may be a long wait before it needs to go to the dealer for service. :) Sure, having a nearby dealer with good service and good pricing is the best of all worlds, and I do try to support local businesses. But remember that someone's local dealer is someone else's distant dealer, and distance in and of itself doesn't make them less or more worthy of support. So for me, it's not at the top of my wish list when shopping new. Especially in the OP's case, where a couple of the brands he's interested in aren't available in his immediate neighborhood, and he has the capability of doing his own hauling if it really becomes necessary.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #18  
I bought my tractor 14 years ago, 90+ miles away.
Tractor has never been back to the dealer. All my parts are ordered online or over the phone.

/ Dealers - How Far is Too Far #20  
EVERYTHING
is 100 miles from me!!:D