Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I’ve been noticing that some tractor dealers won’t accept TYM, LS, Branson, Bad Boy, or Mahindra tractors on trade. That may make it more difficult to sell/trade your tractor if you own one of those brands. Are these dealers being uppity about their brand or do you think they have legit business reasons for doing so? I’ve never seen a car dealer not accept another brand before so why do tractor dealers do it?

IMG_9004.JPG

Last edited:
   / Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #2  
A dealer has the option to take anything they want (or not) in trade. Maybe they have a hard time moving them at the local auction or getting parts/service for them. Why not let the owners do the work on selling the other brands?

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #3  
Smaller dealers are more hesitant to to accept trades in general because they have to pay that value out of their own pocket.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #6  
Around here many brands are hard sell I think. Most off brands do not have very good dealer support. JD and kubota is what we see mostly when out driving around the farms. Many years back Massy was popular but lost their respect. New Holland has a good size dealer to the north but I seldom see many other than a few large units in the fields. Lots of older IH tractors still running, they seem to go forever too as I see the same ones in the field I saw many years ago but no dealer for them that I know of.
When government runs off all the cows and cattle things really change and not for the good IMO-

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #8  
Around here many brands are hard sell I think. Most off brands do not have very good dealer support. JD and kubota is what we see mostly when out driving around the farms. Many years back Massy was popular but lost their respect. New Holland has a good size dealer to the north but I seldom see many other than a few large units in the fields. Lots of older IH tractors still running, they seem to go forever too as I see the same ones in the field I saw many years ago but no dealer for them that I know of.
When government runs off all the cows and cattle things really change and not for the good IMO-

Can you explain: “Massy lost their respect”?
They might be one of the most respected tractor & equipment manufacturers in the world.

:ROFLMAO:

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #9  
I've had three dealers in the last 6 months say they won't take my 770 hour Mahindra in trade and I thought it was because it needs seals replaced which is a labor intensive job. Then I asked the owner of the Mahindra dealer that sold it to me if they'd repair it and take it back in to sell on consignment (meaning I would own it until it sold, but they'd get a percentage for selling). They weren't interested saying tractor sales were slowing. Oh, and the service department still hasn't my calls about repairing it even after speaking with the owner.

Two of the Kubota dealers said they have trouble getting parts for Mahindra. The third dealer wasn't a Kubota dealer, but said they have trouble reselling Mahindras.

Massey Ferguson used to have a good presence here in rural Middle Tennessee, but their dealer network has really dried up compared to what they once were. A friend needs the clutch replaced in his MF and can't find anyone to do it nearby.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #10  
This is not surprising. Dealers having a hard time selling their new inventory don't want used tractors that are less expensive competing. Now that brands are getting better, many don't want their customers to see the quality side by side as it undermines their false narrative about competitors being junk.

When cars from Japan started to make inroads, dealers tried the same thing. Either no trade or horrible pricing to dissuade the trade.