Backhoe Dealing with pine trees

/ Dealing with pine trees #91  
Looks like St. Ann"s Bay across from the old Mill, travelled the road often when the Ferry was out.....beautiful

Dealing with Pine Trees....I have been removing(playing) spruce and some pine from my property for the past 3 years with my MF1720 (TBL)..I cut the stump close to the ground then with the big ones work further away on the roost system till I can break it with the backhoe and then work towards the stump removing the earth. For the stumps that I can't remove due to size/weight I dig the hole big enough so to roll the stumps into the deeper section and cover with the soil. Remember, when the larger stumps that can be removed are removed, you usually require extra fill to even out the ground. With my size compact it works due to the fact that I am playing and not under any time restriction...it keeps my honey do list a little shorter. Take care and play safe!!!!!!

/ Dealing with pine trees
Its worth mentioning that I got my tractor this weekend, went out to the property and started digging out stumps with the backhoe, I have cut down alot of trees in the past 6 months or so.

The worth mentioning part is that there was severe degradation of the pine stumps already, they have been cut 6 months tops and already the wood/roots was dry, rotting, discoloring.....

Someone mentioned maybe on this forum that unless I had magic sand I shouldnt expect them to be powder all on their own within a couple of years.....maybe in 2 years they wont be powder but at the rate they are rotting they are gonna pull out much much easier.

Maybe they will be powder in 2 years.

My plan at this point is to cut down the trees and let the stumps sit to rot, I dont want a single pine on the property, I must have cut down another 75 trees yesterday afternoon.

Ill then come back and start the clean up/hauling.

Then Im gonna dig out just what I need to dig out so I can put up the chainlink fence around the property and by the time Im done with that it will prob be Feb 2023 ( the time I plan to go into semi retirement and start building out there ) and Im gonna rent a BIG piece of equipment ( assuming it will still be needed ) and dig out what needs to be dug out.

Thats my plan and Im stickin too it :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 94
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 80
   / Dealing with pine trees
Another thing worth mentioning is that I did try digging down one side of the pine stump and chopping it off about 2 feet down with a sawzall and a generator.

Both sawzall and gen were purchased at H.F. Both were cheap garbage especially the gen.

I have a nice Onan Gen that I plan to bring out to the property, its new but has sat a long time, couldnt get it working in time for the weekend, waiting on a coil.

The HF 99 dollar gen couldnt power the saw fully, wouldnt move it fast enough but I was able to cut thru a stump about 8 inches in diam. Took about 15 min though.

In my opinion its still worth looking into, next month Ill have my big Gen operational and up there with me.

I am gonna look into getting a more suitable blade for the sawzall assuming there is one and see what happens.

I may even buy a cheap chainsaw from HF and use that, I cant imagine though that Id be able to cut through many stumps without ruining the chain cause there is still alot of sand involved.

/ Dealing with pine trees #94  
Another thing worth mentioning is that I did try digging down one side of the pine stump and chopping it off about 2 feet down with a sawzall and a generator.

Both sawzall and gen were purchased at H.F. Both were cheap garbage especially the gen.

I have a nice Onan Gen that I plan to bring out to the property, its new but has sat a long time, couldnt get it working in time for the weekend, waiting on a coil.

The HF 99 dollar gen couldnt power the saw fully, wouldnt move it fast enough but I was able to cut thru a stump about 8 inches in diam. Took about 15 min though.

In my opinion its still worth looking into, next month Ill have my big Gen operational and up there with me.

I am gonna look into getting a more suitable blade for the sawzall assuming there is one and see what happens.

I may even buy a cheap chainsaw from HF and use that, I cant imagine though that Id be able to cut through many stumps without ruining the chain cause there is still alot of sand involved.

They have actual blades for cutting trees with your Sawzall, and you can also get a cordless Sawzall, I have a nice dewalt one. Get plenty of batteries though

/ Dealing with pine trees #95  
I cant imagine though that Id be able to cut through many stumps without ruining the chain cause there is still alot of sand involved.
That is for certain.