Backhoe Dealing with pine trees

/ Dealing with pine trees #71  
My pines( Ponderosa ) will root down to the bedrock. Usually around 2' to 3'. Then the roots fan out in all directions. The really big ones can have roots out as far as 100' from the main trunk. I've got a very few ancient pines - 38" on the butt - dead and still standing after over 38 years. They were dead when we got here in '82. The root system has not rotted out and is still holding them up.

There aren't many of these left. I've gone around and fell them. I want them to come down when I want - no surprises during a wind storm.

I had a 41 inch one fall in a storm about six years ago. It fell about 40 feet from where I was with the tractor. Not a pleasant surprise.

View attachment 595662 A ten foot chunk of one that was 40" on the butt.

Nice looking picture, is all that yours? I love the terrain!

/ Dealing with pine trees #72  
Southern pine does have a long tap root. I don't care too much for pine trees on my place. We have about 30 acres cleaned 10 years ago. I let most of pine stumps rot. After a couple of years they were gone, but left a soft spot or hole in the ground. Pine stumps are harder to grind out than hard wood.
As others said, cut down close to the ground, clean up, and let them rot. unless you want to hire some equipment. I piled my tree tops for the animals. Later the piles were almost nothing but a pile of compost.

/ Dealing with pine trees #73  

I don't know the variety, yes sand and taproots, that makes up 80 percent of my property

You could have a Plan B of just leaving most of the trees there. Knock down the ones that will interfere with the house and come back to the other ones later when your views might change?

/ Dealing with pine trees
I will look into it, nice machine

You could have a Plan B of just leaving most of the trees there. Knock down the ones that will interfere with the house and come back to the other ones later when your views might change?

Funny that you should mention that cause Ive been thinking the polar opposite most of the day, im thinking I better get back there ASAP and cut down every pine my fuel allowance will allow so they can get ta rotten :)

I tried giving it away but no takers, prob double that now, all pulled out with my little B series Kunota

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 118
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 110
I have lots of oak as well but Im trying to save what I can of them

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 93
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 98
   / Dealing with pine trees #78  
I tried giving it away but no takers, prob double that now, all pulled out with my little B series Kunota

Wish I were closer, I'd come get most of it..

/ Dealing with pine trees #79  
I have lots of oak as well but Im trying to save what I can of them

Nice pics stumpy.. its ok to call you stumpy right??:laughing::laughing:

/ Dealing with pine trees #80  
All I can say is WOW..You amaze me with your crazy post after post after post after post after post after post..