Dealing with sharps in the shop

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #11  
I cut a through slot into the cap of a big soda bottle, and put it back on the bottle. Razor blades and box cutter blades just fit through the slot.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #12  
I put sharps in a used food (soup, veggy, etc. ) can. I always leave an empty in the house. When I crush the can, the sharps are captured and recycled with the scrap metal.
This is what I do, have a can in the garage and when it gets about 1/3-1/2 full I bend it over and throw it in the garbage.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #13  
Did a remodel of bathroom once, with an old time metal medicine cabinet..... 30's to 60's. These were the ones that had a safety razor slot to put the old blades in. Lifting it out, it was heavy, cause it was filled with old razor blades. To me. it is very strange that these rarely had any way empty them of old blades.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #14  
I tend to put blades inside pieces of corrugated cardboard like the lids of a box, have done the duct tape think also. an old metal can is used for nails, wire, filings, blades etc anything small pieces of used metal really.
glass pieces, broken jars etc go in a metal garbage can

I regularly recycle larger glass containers, plastics and metal via sorting into cardboard boxes
I do recycling runs and general dump runs separately, to the same location - I want to sort all, load, and empty; not load all, sort, and empty

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #15  
I used those large bottles the gummy vitamins come in

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #16  
Did a remodel of bathroom once, with an old time metal medicine cabinet..... 30's to 60's. These were the ones that had a safety razor slot to put the old blades in. Lifting it out, it was heavy, cause it was filled with old razor blades. To me. it is very strange that these rarely had any way empty them of old blades.
None of those medicine cabinets I've ever seen had a receptacle for the blades. Usually, it was just a slot and any old blades just fell into the space between the studs. You'd have to tear the wall out to get at them.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #17  
I take them to my grinder then toss into the garbage. B.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #18  
I cut my hand taking a garbage bag out of the shop. I guess I was the one that thought it would be okay to dispose of a dull box cutter blade in the trash. I have since taken a used plastic coffee jar and cut a hope in the lid. It is my "sharps container". I keep the jar near my workbench and use it for dull blades, nails, screws, etc. . I should have been smarter than throwing a dull blade in a trash can but now I have a handy way to dispose of sharps.
I do something similar.

All the cast off sharps go in a bucket that has salt water in the bottom. If I'm gonna get cut, I want to get tetanus too! ;-)

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #19  
Years ago the old country doctors would knock a hole in the wall of their exam rooms and drop the used needles in the hole and when full they would patch the hole and then knock a new hole in the next wall section.

/ Dealing with sharps in the shop #20  
I collected -400# of sharps and plasma cutting drops and dross for years to make ballast for my anvil and post vise stands. Mixed with high Portland grout. 8x16” tube drops. Anvil base has 8’of railroad rail too.
IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

Now just trade with scrapyard.