Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #11  
I use moth balls. The original type, not scented. I put them right on my injectors, battery case, starter and any other nook or cranny that they'll roll into. haven't had a critter problem since. But the tractor smells like a grama's house.

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #12  
I use cotton balls soaked in red fox urine to keep critters out of my boat. Place them in an open top plastic container with a little extra urine in the bottom. Put a container in each compartment.

Worked good last year....though the smell was slow to leave the livewells. This year they got into the boat before I placed the cotton balls. Later noticed that some of the balls had been 'attacked'. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe they work best if you get them in early before the critters take up residence.

I've got an unsavory reputation at the marina where they winterize the engine /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
Bob

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #13  
I can understand their feelings, Bob. I think the only thing that smells worse'n a fox is a skunk. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I will try the moth balls though thanks to everyone who suggested them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #14  
Here's a trick I learned from an old timer. Get the waffle type rat bait or drill a hole in a block rat bait, slip the wire though the bait and reattach it. Stays there for years and the mice eat the block instead of the wires.

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #15  
I just use some electronic rodent repellers in my tractor shed. NO mice. Everyone tells me that those things don't work. I just smile and enjoy a mouse free workshop, tractor shed and house /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #16  
I'll also cast my vote for D-Conn and moth balls. I've had good luck with them seperately or together. We have some carriages and a sleigh in a covered shed, and always keep an open box of moth balls under the seat of each one. Never had a problem. On another note, mice were nesting in the engine compartment of our old truck, so I put moth balls around the engine. Driving in the winter the camphor smell wafted into the cab and gagged us prettty bad. Shouldn't be a problem on a tractor though, unless you've got a cab.

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think between the three cats I have moved to the barn and moth balls and other tips, I should be able to keep them away. Because so many people seem to have problems with critters chewing wires and hoses in cars and trucks and tractors, there should be some entrepreneur who could develop a wire sheathing which tastes so bad no rodent would want to chew on it. The tractor manufacturers could use that as a marketing tool to market their "rodent proof" tractors. Probably not a lot of money in it, but there is certainly a need. Reminds me of a story I read a few years ago where someone developed a paint for ships which barnacles would not latch onto because it had some sort of pepper or something like that in it. Saved immense amounts of money by avoiding the periodic dry-docking and scraping of ships.

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #18  
I had the same problem with my tractor many years ago. I put moth balls in an old sock, knotted the end, and put it behind the instrument panel. I haven't seen another mouse since.

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #19  
I tried every trap and bait I could find at Lowe's and TSC for a mouse problem in my pole barn. I caught one mouse! They made a huge mess, took several days to clean up in the Spring. Luckily, no wires chewed up or anything serious like that. Although I don't really like cats (allergic) I ended up with five of them in the barn this year. Guess what, no more mice, not even a trace of one. Also haven't seen a groundhog in a while, and the rabbits didn't come around to destroy the garden this year. The cats are pretty low maintenance, a little food and plenty of clean water, and maybe a little attention once in a while. Worked for me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Dealing with tractor wire chewing critters #20  
<font color="blue">Before I sealed my pole barn I had that trouble. I left a glue trap next to each tire. Caught about 6 of them in a year. I still leave the glue traps around just in case.
</font>
Ever see a mouse escape off of a glue trap?
I have on that's done it 3 times.
The last time it was really stuck to it but it still got away.
It must be a super strong mouse.
I'm begining to think I'm dealing with Mighty Mouse here.
The cat hain't got it either.
All I can say is this is one lucky mouse.
If I set a snap trap I'd probably catch the cat in that instead of the mouse.