death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #341  
That's not true where I live, "used" extended cab pu's are all over the place! Thing is, they now have "shortened" forward facing doors instead of suicide doors with no post.

The reason GM added the post, is to get a MUCH higher rating in a roll over crash, as that post supports the roof MUCH better.

You see them as a crew cab, but that's an even longer animal.

SR

I'd like to point out that it was Dodge, not GM, that invented the "extended cab" with the smaller rear doors and a full B pillar. GM didn't begin using the smaller but normal rear doors until 2014; Dodge was doing it at least as far back as 2008.

Furthermore, if you compare a 2016 GM 1500 "double cab" (with the normal rear doors) to a 2016 Ford F-150 extended cab (which still has the clamshell rear-hinged doors), both are rated as "Good" for roof crush integrity.

/ death of regular cab pickups #343  
I'd like to point out that it was Dodge, not GM, that invented the "extended cab" with the smaller rear doors and a full B pillar. GM didn't begin using the smaller but normal rear doors until 2014; Dodge was doing it at least as far back as 2008.

Furthermore, if you compare a 2016 GM 1500 "double cab" (with the normal rear doors) to a 2016 Ford F-150 extended cab (which still has the clamshell rear-hinged doors), both are rated as "Good" for roof crush integrity.
I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the smaller rear doors and full b pillar.

/ death of regular cab pickups #344  
Brother likes his regular short box Ford. Not sure of year. Jon

/ death of regular cab pickups #346  
Other than occasionally manuevering it in parking garages (really hate that I knocked that motorcycle over that one time) I have really enjoyed my 2500 crew cab with 8' bed. I will always have one as long as I can. I drive my 1995 1500 extend cab short bed a lot though and hope to do so for much longer.

If I was to buy another truck, kinda-sorta in the market, I would prefer a 1 ton regular cab with a flat bed.

/ death of regular cab pickups #347  

There is a long history of crew cabs and extended cabs. At least back into the 1960's, perhaps even into the 1950's. There have been changes to the B pillar and arrangements of the rear compartment.

My 1999 Ford F150 has suicide rear doors, and a rather short rear passenger area. Some brands have even used fold down sideways sitting jump seats.

The Subaru Brat was a basic 2-door pickup with a reasonable sized bed for a mini pickup.
It was replaced by the Baja in 2002 with 4 doors and a micro bed.

Then, of course, there was the Chevy Avalanche in 2001. Oh, what an avalanche of emasculation of the pickup market it led to.

/ death of regular cab pickups
there are numerous examples abroad in Europe & Asia of single cab pickups with extended beds, specialized utility trucks, etc. really unfortunate they are outlawed & unavailable in US

i personally feel the US domestic truck market is homogenized & very limited to what's cosmetically in vogue. plus it almost takes a 2nd mortgage to purchase one.

sure glad i'm not on the market & do well w/my old school 4x4 4cyl banger. but then again, i'm at late life stage. don't envy new truck purchasers in the least.
(& the new Jeep pickups are really quite comical to see on the road) Tonka toy

Last edited:
   / death of regular cab pickups #349  
I was looking for a used extended cab pickup and they turned out to be rather rare. Almost the entire used pickup market now is the four door sedan with an open air trunk that is labeled a "crew cab"....
That's not true where I live, "used" extended cab pu's are all over the place! Thing is, they now have "shortened" forward facing doors instead of suicide doors with no post.

The reason GM added the post, is to get a MUCH higher rating in a roll over crash, as that post supports the roof MUCH better.
I get that, but it makes getting stuff into and out of the back part much harder than with the suicide doors.

My experience is similar to CaseyR's, with used extended cab trucks few and far between. And in the midsized truck category, the double cabs seem to hit the worst of both worlds...a back seat only suitable for children and a so small as to be almost worthless bed.
I really don't miss regular cabs very much, I like the behind-the-seat storage as well as the slightly better legroom of an extended cab.

/ death of regular cab pickups #350  
there are numerous examples abroad in Europe & Asia of single cab pickups with extended beds, specialized utility trucks, etc. really unfortunate they are outlawed & unavailable in US

i personally feel the US domestic truck market is homogenized & very limited to what's cosmetically in vogue. plus it almost takes a 2nd mortgage to purchase one.

sure glad i'm not on the market & do well w/my old school 4x4 4cyl banger. but then again, i'm at late life stage. don't envy new truck purchasers in the least.
(& the new Jeep pickups are really quite comical to see on the road) Tonka toy
I have a 2500 Dodge and no need for another truck. But the Jeep Gladiator trucks are awesome for their intended purpose. They are outdoor recreational vehicles, not work trucks, and are perfect for off road and jeep trail hunting access and retrieving a deer or elk from the backcountry. Or simply backcountry camping. Maybe towing a small camping trailer on woods roads.