Decent 2-stroke oil?

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Just got a old dirt bike. Years ago, I used to run Hi-Point oil in my dirt bike. Local shop said Hi-Point is gone?

Any recomendations on a good 2-stroke oil?

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #2  
Husky! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #4  
If you just want a real good oil, I use Amsoil 100 to 1 in all my lawn and string cutters, it does a good job. That way I don't have mix one at 30 to 1 another to like 50 to 1. I run them all at 100 to 1. It cost a little more, but not that much. You might want to run it at 50 to 1 in your bike. That is if its not a race, bike then you might want to get the race oil. I don't have a dirt bike anymore, but if I did that is what I would do.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil?
I guess I could have been a bit more specific /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's an '86 Yamaha YZ250. It's in great shape, for a 17 year old bike. Runs great. You'll laugh or shake your head; I fired it up on chainsaw 2-stroke, just for a couple minutes.

The local shop specializes in dirt bikes. They said to try Maxim oil. Never heard of it...

/ Decent 2-stroke oil?
I run oil mixes at oil manufacturers specs. They design the oil for optimum efficiency at a specific mix rate. So, for a 50:1 oil, I run it at that. If it is a 24:1 oil, the same.

When a equipment manufacturer say to run 24:1 for example, they will spec an oil. Yamaha specced Yamalube. It is designed for best lubricating, and engine performance at 24:1. But, it would run terrible if you mixed Amsoil 100:1 oil at 24:1.

Too lean, and it will burn up the motor for lack of lube. Too rcih, and it will smoke, foul plugs, and tend to run hot.

A ex moto cross racer and engine builder gave me tips years ago. In those days, he ran Hi-Point. That was 16 years ago though.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #7  
I'm sorry, but you need to find out what is new, as of these days, Amsoil is not the run of the mill oil. You can run just about anything at 100 to 1 with it and it works fine. YZ250, I thought that was one that had a oil tank that it mixed it inside. I had one, I believe was a 250 a few years ago, getting old, just don't remember, but thought it was, bought it new but its been too long ago.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #8  
I think what Robert is saying (if I read it right) is correct.
You should run what the oil manufacturer specs their oil at. For example 50:1 for the Amsoil TCR, and 100:1 for the Amsoil ATC pre-mix, regardless of what the mfgr specs their recommended oil at. You can run Amsoil at richer mixtures though and it still works very well. I have several commercial accounts that use their 2-cycle equipment all day and they run the 100:1 at 80:1.
An '86 YZ250 is a treasure! Take good care of it. I'll be riding this weekend with a friend who rides an old Maco. Still runs great. He uses the TCR oil at 50:1, it would work great in your bike too.

Dave

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #9  
I am reading that he is saying, he runs it at what the equipment manufactor says. Because he is saying they tell you what oil, then he goes by what that oil says. Unless I am reading what he is saying wrong. If he would be so kind to come back and tell us which one is reading it the way he means it. I use to go by what the epuipment manufactors said myself, but it got to be a pain to have 2 or 3 different mixes to have to use, and keep each one in a different can. I have went to the Amsoil, and it works out much better, and no smoke, and I had a carbon problem with my string cutter before and had to put in a new ring because of it. Now no problem. And no I don't work for Amsoil. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #10  
Remember Klotz?

Klotz website

I have some of their techniplate. It looks like they have a couple varities of that name and I don't recall which one I have. I use it in my weed eater at 50:1 and have the same curiosity about my dirtbike, as I was told to use 40:1 in it but I seem to recall once being told that you run the oil at the OIL manufacturers recommendation, meaning I'd be ok to use this at 50:1 in my dirtbike (1983 Maico 490).

Thus far, I've only used it at 40:1 and I DO get some smoke out of the backend, but it's not a LOT of smoke.

I THINK they still make it, but Klotz has an oil (castor ?) that as I recall from 20 years ago, smelled GOOOOOOOOOOD. A friend of mine used it and we'd sometimes show up at different times in the woods... I ALWAYS knew when he was there because of the aroma /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (deep breath about now) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've talked to the folks at Klotz and for the nickel it's worth, they were very friendly & very helpful.

(not associated with them at all)

Richard