dechiphering jd model numbers

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #1  

dieselbeef

Gold Member
Tractor
bx2200..jd 2010 loader backhoe tractor

is there a way to tell what machine youre looking at by the model...alo of them look the same but the model number doesnt tell me anyhting.

i cant figure out hp or what type it is w/o seeing it

any help..or is it solely a guessing game w/o researching it

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #2  
Not really without referring to Tractordata.com

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #3  
I agree with Jim and would add that recycling the numbers makes it even more confusing. Lots of the model numbers were used for different tractors and field equipment too.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #4  
I agree with Jim and would add that recycling the numbers makes it even more confusing. Lots of the model numbers were used for different tractors and field equipment too.

It's very confusing trying to decide if an OP is inquiring about an older rowcrop or newer CUT that share the same model numbers.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #5  
John Deere is currently transitioning to a new name and number system for its full line of tractors with the introduction of the new 5D, 5E, 5M, and 6D Series tractors.

“The updated name and numbering system is unique to John Deere and allows for a more consistent approach to naming our equipment around the world,” said Steve Robisky, John Deere marketing administration manager.

“This new system allows customers to more quickly and easily identify the engine horsepower of a tractor, its capability, and its size by looking at the hood decal,” Robisky adds.
New system
Each new tractor model number has six available positions.

The first position is a number and represents its size. The second, third, and fourth positions are numbers and denote its relative metric engine horsepower according to 97/68/EC Standards.

The fifth position is a letter and indicates its capability and/or price level within its family.

“Letters at the beginning of the alphabet indicate a tractor model has lower levels of capabilities when compared to other models in its family. Letters higher in the alphabet specify a tractor has more advanced capabilities,” Robisky said.

“Some tractors will also have a sixth position to designate a specific configuration such as a high-crop or narrow-profile tractor or to show that it has tracks,” he said.
Consider the new John Deere 5045D, 5065E, and 5065M tractors.

The 5065E is a 65-engine horsepower tractor. When compared to other models in the 5 family of tractors, the 5065E has fewer capabilities while a 5065M has greater capabilities.

Dealers will refer to them as the Five D Series, Five E Series, and Five M Series of tractors.

Within the series, they’ll refer to a specific model as a “five zero sixty-five E tractor,” Robisky said.

Larger models, such as the new 6115D, would be referred to as a “six one-fifteen D,” Robisky said.

This new system does away with the word thousand in the series title.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #6  
RLstangs,

That is all fine and good but I for one am more interested in pto hp since I often find myself comparing to older tractors I had in the past. While I understand the new numbering system and have memorized a lot of the older tractor models and specs it still can be confusing. Tractor data is a real help and good source of information.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #7  
This is the new JD system so you can tell a lot about the tractor by just the model number. The size of the tractor, the HP and the options. Tired of people asking me how much HP does this tractor have? I have not memorized the HP of every tractor that JD has ever made. Now I can just read the model number for HP. The other companies adds use engine HP not PTO HP. When JD used PTO Hp the other brands tractors looked like they had more HP. So JD changed to play the same game.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers
ok..2030 means what then...5203 vs a 5210..it doesnt tell you diddly bout the hp or anyhting else that i can tell

/ dechiphering jd model numbers #9  
ok..2030 means what then...5203 vs a 5210..it doesnt tell you diddly bout the hp or anyhting else that i can tell
well if it was by today's standards the 2030 would be in the category 2 size (the bigger the category the bigger the tractor is physically) and have 30 engine HP, the other two would be in the category 5 size and one would have 203 engine HP and the other 210 engine HP. That would be IF it was by today's standards, but also if it was today's it would also have a letter after saying the capabilities.

My dealer said think of the letters as E is for Economy Model, M is for doing Most tasks, and the R is Ready for anything, he didn't say what the D is but I'm sure it would follow the same lines.

/ dechiphering jd model numbers
my 5210 and the 5203 are dif size..same hp..one is 4x4 the other isnt...ones a 01 the others an 03