Buying Advice deciding between a b and l series

/ deciding between a b and l series #1  

dst1165

Tractor
Ford 3000
I've been reading here for a few days and would like some advice. My wife has given me the okay to replace my current tractor and I have decided it is going to be a Kubota. My current trator is a early '70s Ford 3000. I currenly mow around four acres of rolling pasture. Occasionaly I also need to bush hog if things get ahead of me. I would also like to be able to do some light loader work and possibly run a post hole digger if needed. I have a 6 foot Land Pride 2572 finish mower and a 5 foot bush hog.

I have test driven both an B3200 and a L3400 and have also looked at the L2800. I liked both tractors very well and both have positives and negatives in my mind. I want to get a tractor that will do what I need it to do but also not over buy on size. I liked the fact that the b3200 has the ability to accept a mid mount mower if I decide to get one in the future, but I seemed to be able to get on the L series with less effort. My question is wheter the B3200 or the L2800 will handle the 6" finish mower. Or should I move up to the L3400/3700 The Ford doesn't have any trouble with bogging down with the hills and it most likely weighs 5000#

Suggestions on which tractor would best suit my needs will be appreciated.

/ deciding between a b and l series #2  
There is a big difference in the horsepower! Your Ford would probably have to be 45 horsepower by the new ratings!

I'd go with the L3700 and not look back, It's not that the B couldn't do it but it's not as heavy and the loader is larger and worth the investment of the quick attach bucket with purchase.

You have only lost about the equivilent of five horsepower, the diesel would have a higher torque rise as well as the added plus of sipping fuel.

With the lighter chassis, four wheel drive you still would pull close to equal.

The B-series would also take a front powered attachment as well as the mid mower is a snowblower would come into play. It might also take a little longer to do some chores but diesels like to be run!

/ deciding between a b and l series #3  
5000 pounds!!! Thats a pretty heavy Ford 3000. What kind of ballast are you using? I replaced my 3000 pound (filled rears) Ford 8N with a L3940. This was an upgrade in power and size. I have been very happy with tractor. Philip.

/ deciding between a b and l series #4  
Like art said, 3700; can't explain it better. As to getting on and off, I found the Grand L's easier and liked the flat deck, but you didn't ask about them:eek:

/ deciding between a b and l series #5  
Power wise the B will handle the 6' RFM fine. Weight wise the Landpride 6' RFM would sort of swing my B around at the bottom of the hill but it just made it a bit easier to steer.:) With my L3240 you never knew it was back there weight wise. I'm on a hillside so I prefer the B on hills but on flat land or slightly rolling I'd take an L.

/ deciding between a b and l series
Thanks, as far as the weihght on the Ford, it was just a guesstimate based on initial weight filled rears and a beast of a loader frame. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have needed the horsepower of the 3000 but it was what I could afford at the time.

I liked the size and manuverability of the b3200 since on occasion I've been known to mow the "yard" when I'm in a hurry. Normally I use a lawnmower for that.

Would the l2800 also handle the RFM on hills since it is somewhat heavier?

I have one bank that I usually use the 5' bush hog since it is very rough. I usually take it slow with the Ford and don't have many concerns. Which tractor would be more stable for this task?

/ deciding between a b and l series #7  
Idst1165,
I have a B3200 TLB along with other attachments, 72" Rake, 72" back blade and a 72" Woods rear finish mower. The B3200 handles is very well with no hesitation, I mow about 2 acres with most flat and one incline at the back of the house. Hope this helps?
Devildog

/ deciding between a b and l series #8  
Either choice will have plenty of power and capability. I am quite comfortable on my L3700SU on slopes and the L2800 is essentially the same platform so it should have great stability as well.

The best thing you can do is sit on them and drive them around a bit and see which you feel more comfortable on.

/ deciding between a b and l series #9  
Buy both then you have it all covered:thumbsup::D:laughing::licking:

/ deciding between a b and l series #10  
"My question is wheter the B3200 or the L2800 will handle the 6" finish mower."

Grass I mow last weekend 6 to 8 inches high semi dry..no problem cutting.

What type of tranny..HST?