deciding on earthmover...

/ deciding on earthmover... #1  

mattbatson

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B1750HST4x4
I say earthmover, as this is primarily what it will be used for. Our property is hilly and we wont be plowing fields with it.

Mostly digging roads, removing tree's, land clearing, digging drainage ditches...stuff like that.

We have 20 acres up in the mountains of western NC.

I rented a B21 TLB last week to dig footer for a concrete pad, trench for septic system, and then to work on some roads across the property.

005-7.jpg

011-7.jpg

018-4.jpg

these shots show what the land kind of looks like. Mostly up and down.

I have to say I was really and truly impressed by the 21. When we rented it, I was comparing it to a tracked skidsteer which I had rented in the past, and I was worried it wouldnt be up to snuff.
Even though the 21 is obviously a much smaller and lighter machine than a T190 bobcat, it did really well out there.

So, we are tired of renting and looking to buy now. I think our budget is around 15 to 20K.
I do have a bit of mechanical ablility and dont mind fixing things, but obviously dont want something to break every weekend, lol...

So, I'm thinking of something under 2000 hours, and am thinking of something like an L35 or 39?
I'm wondering if at 2000 hrs I would be looking at the possibility of big repairs on these machines, and maybe should stick to 1000 hrs and under. I am going to try and buy from a private seller who has service records and such....no auction houses for me, lol

I loved the HST on the 21, as I could just heel the pedal to go backwards, which made it great when making a 4 point turn :laughing:

However, the 21 was a little light for the big 4 hundred pound rocks we have up there, and the reach of the backhoe (and power) were a little deficient also.

Now, the L series have the glide shift, so there is shifting from back to forward....but I'm not so sure this is a huge deal?
thoughts?

On the other hand, the 21 did get the job done :thumbsup:, and it just required a little more patience.
Maybe I should just get a 21?

/ deciding on earthmover... #2  
A unit with 2000 hrs. with either TLB you mentioned would be fine as long as it was well taken care of. Good idea to stay away from the auction houses and I'd also stay away from used rental units...unless the rental yard was a Kubota dealer. Even though its a TLB I'd load the front and rear tires for extra ballast and stability. My .02

/ deciding on earthmover... #3  
No one that I know of loads front tires on CUT's with loader. If you need extra ballast on the front, just load the bucket. Loaded front tires puts too muh strain on the front axle components.

/ deciding on earthmover... #4  
No one that I know of loads front tires on CUT's with loader. If you need extra ballast on the front, just load the bucket. Loaded front tires puts too muh strain on the front axle components.

Uh...ok

/ deciding on earthmover...
A unit with 2000 hrs. with either TLB you mentioned would be fine as long as it was well taken care of. Good idea to stay away from the auction houses and I'd also stay away from used rental units...unless the rental yard was a Kubota dealer. Even though its a TLB I'd load the front and rear tires for extra ballast and stability. My .02

I agree on the rental unit's...I ran mine pretty darn hard.
Also, on my rental B21, the factory hour meter was disengaged, and an auxilary hour meter was installed on the side of the cowl :rolleyes:
I'm guessing when it comes time to sell it they take off the auxilary hour meter and then turn the factory one back on?

Yes, filling the tires will be a first order of business. Want that center of gravity as low as possible

hmm, I had never heard of that before. I'll look into it....

here is one I will go look at

L35 Kubota

this L39 is sweet as ****, but may be out of our budget...

Kubota L39

I'll have to check in the couch cushions and see what kind of change I can find...:drool:

/ deciding on earthmover... #8  
hmm, I had never heard of that before. I'll look into it....

With a set of typical 10x16.5 front tires you'll only be adding 250 lbs or so to the front axle. Not a concern as far as axle strength is concerned, but it goes a long way towards more traction and stability.

BTW - That L39 does look good. So does the 35

/ deciding on earthmover... #9  
The L39's are not hydro they are glide shift. I don't know about a L35.

With a set of typical 10x16.5 front tires you'll only be adding 250 lbs or so to the front axle. Not a concern as far as axle strength is concerned, but it goes a long way towards more traction and stability.

BTW - That L39 does look good. So does the 35

I agree that 250lbs isnt much, and to be honest, I dont know if it is the same as adding weight to the axle, like....say...loading a 250lb weight onto the front bumper would.
Even in the turning of the front wheels it isnt exactly 250lbs extra that you are asking the axle to rotate....just a thought.