Buying Advice Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #21  
Geezer -

I faced similar decisions a few years ago. You are definately in the right place...TBN has answers...after thorough perusing of postings here, I posted questions similar to yours and was introduced to Power-Trac machines, a somewhat unconventional (non-dealer) approach. Importantly they produce versatile slope mowing machines with a quick attach system that will take nearly any implement imaginable. I've just purchased a used PT1850 (our second PT machine) and although not perfect, I'm convinced.

take time to vet through possibilities, have fun with your research and check out the Power-Trac forum here on TBN under "Other Brands". You will find a spirited independent group with great experience, candid feedback and support.

here is a link that might help: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/11237-best-mountain-tractor.html

best,

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post
The farm is in New Tripoli, PA and just east of Route 100 and South of Route 309 near the KOA campground. Although the complete acreage is 23, half of that is in woods that will pretty much stay as is. What I have is hilly pastures almost evenly divided, lots of fence lines to keep clear of grass and incroaching trees and brush from the immediately ajoining public hunting grounds. I spent most of last summer's weekends cutting a clearing on the fence line so that the fences can be electrified.

The previous owner overgrazed and was a vacant owner for over three years and the pastures really need work. There is a bumper crop of weeds but hardly any grass. The mowing of both lawn and pastures do not require lots of manueverability since there are not many trees or other things to mow around.

It is looking like a combination of a larger stand alone mower and a larger tractor would fill the bill and perhaps continue to hire out the snow removal.

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #23  
I think hiring the snow is a good thought, since you are a snowbird anyhow, right? The cost of a good blower ($3000.) will go a long way for paying a contractor to do, say, over 6" only snows.

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #24  
I have 20 acres and I went with the B3200, 64" rear snow blower, 60" MMM, FEL, roof canopy, and 58" rear tiller. I went back and forth on the mower....either MMM or RFM. I went with the rear blower instead of the front because I can still use the bucket to clean up or move drifts. Plus, the rear model is a lot cheaper. I have two weeks until mine is delivered. :D

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #25  
I think you on the right track-a dedicated mowing machine (I'd recommend a ZTR if you terrain allows it) and a larger tractor. I don't have your amount of property, but I have a ZTR and a tractor-and I am glad that I have both.

Will

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #26  
The farm is in New Tripoli, PA and just east of Route 100 and South of Route 309 near the KOA campground. Although the complete acreage is 23, half of that is in woods that will pretty much stay as is. What I have is hilly pastures almost evenly divided, lots of fence lines to keep clear of grass and incroaching trees and brush from the immediately ajoining public hunting grounds. I spent most of last summer's weekends cutting a clearing on the fence line so that the fences can be electrified.

The previous owner overgrazed and was a vacant owner for over three years and the pastures really need work. There is a bumper crop of weeds but hardly any grass. The mowing of both lawn and pastures do not require lots of manueverability since there are not many trees or other things to mow around.

It is looking like a combination of a larger stand alone mower and a larger tractor would fill the bill and perhaps continue to hire out the snow removal.

I'm only about 6 or 7 miles from you! I live just off of Mountain Road right next to Nestle Waters AKA Deer Park Water Co. You definately have more hills on your property than I do. But I have road frontage, ground banks & creeks to mow around. I only have about 7 acres total to take care of, though. The B3030 does just fine for the majority of things I do. Now if I only had one tractor it would have to be an L series size. But for the times I need a larger tractor the Oliver 77 does just fine for me.

Some of the best advice that's given from time to time on this board is to buy the tractor that will suit the majority of the jobs you need to do on a regular basis and either rent or maybe buy an older used tractor for some of the other non-frequent jobs.

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post
I think it is going to be a mower first. Zero turns are the most appealing. Need to find one with a roll bar. I know that the Xmark, Skag and Kobota are well rated, but I am not sure I want to spring for a new one. Been lurking on Craig's List. There is also a really interesting used tractor dealer in Hamburg, Pa that seems to have a wide variety of bigger tractors, but I do not know much about their reputation.

/ Decisions, Decisions....Loooong Post #28  
I've heard a rumor (from Steve Barlow) that Barlows is doing a push to clear out a bunch of Zero Turns. Contact them and see what they have in used and new.