Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #11  
I'm no battery expert, but it is my understanding that deep cycle batteries are designed to deliver moderate current draws for an extended period of time. They do not hold up well to high discharge rates. For your winch you might be better off with a normal automotive battery. They are designed to deliver high current to a starter motor.

In general it is not a good idea to connect 2 batteries in parallel. They will never be at exactly the same voltage, and you will get current flow from one battery in to the other.

Stan

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #12  
I'm no battery expert, but it is my understanding that deep cycle batteries are designed to deliver moderate current draws for an extended period of time. They do not hold up well to high discharge rates. For your winch you might be better off with a normal automotive battery. They are designed to deliver high current to a starter motor.

Stan

You are probably right Stan. I run a marine business and all we use anymore are Dual Purpose Batteries. My brand of choice is Exide but that really does not matter. I get the best deal on them. I like group 27's but use a lot of group 24's also. Being a Dual Purpose battery its kind of a trade off but gives you a lot of the best features of both a starting and deep cycle battery.

Its what I have in both my boats, customers boats, customers campers, and trailers for winches in the past.

http://www.exide.com/portal/server....orth_america/images/ex10_022_marinefamily.pdf

Chris

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #13  

In general it is not a good idea to connect 2 batteries in parallel. They will never be at exactly the same voltage, and you will get current flow from one battery in to the other.

Stan
I agree with not permanently connecting batteries in parallel. If one battery goes dead or weak, internal short, etc, it will take the other one with it. When you jump a vehicle to start it you of course have a parallel connection, but only for a brief period of time. If you want to go the two battery route for more capacity it would be better to connect two large 6 volt batteries in series as was done on some farm tractors.

I believe you are also correct about not using a deep cycle for heavy loads. It's all a trade-off. A true deep cycle can better tolerate being fully discharged and still come back to life but doesn't like a heavy draw. Some marine batteries are advertisd as being a combo starting/deep cycle type but probably still a compromise.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #14  
Every diesel pickup out there has two batteries in parallel...

Stan

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch
You are probably right Stan. I run a marine business and all we use anymore are Dual Purpose Batteries. My brand of choice is Exide but that really does not matter. I get the best deal on them. I like group 27's but use a lot of group 24's also. Being a Dual Purpose battery its kind of a trade off but gives you a lot of the best features of both a starting and deep cycle battery.

Its what I have in both my boats, customers boats, customers campers, and trailers for winches in the past.

http://www.exide.com/portal/server....orth_america/images/ex10_022_marinefamily.pdf

Chris

Interesting.

I notice the battery box on my Isuzu NPR is large enough to handle two 12V batteries. I only need one because the engine is the 6.0L GMC gasser. The NPR diesel probably uses (or can use) two batteries in parallel.

So maybe I should be looking at one of those dual use batteries (high CCA and deep cycle combo).

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #16  
You can do it both ways but remember, 2 batteries equals twice the problems. A $10 set of jumper cables you already probably own is very simple for a limited use winch like you are planning. It can also be uses to start a dead tractor or the truck itself off the winches battery if needed. How will you keep the winch battery charged so they are ready when you need it?

They make battery isolators.

East Penn 2-battery System Battery Isolators - JCWhitney

Northern Industrial Battery Isolator 120 Amp, Model# B-120A1B2E | Energy Storage Batteries | Northern Tool + Equipment

It will allow it to charge off the trucks electrical system when running but not back feed to the motor for starting. I think they are about $45. Much like charging the battery on a trailer for the electric brakes. Just make sure its relay controlled and only powered when the truck is running or it may drain the trucks starting battery and leave you stranded.

Chris

I have this set-up in my 1985 Service Van... seems about every 10 years the isolator craps out...

Any idea on how long they can last or the best brand to get?

I also have a continuous duty solenoid so I can combine both batteries for heavy usage... truck is equipped with a heavy duty inverter for power tools... cost a lot back in 1985.

My neighbor does a lot of winch work... he uses welding cable sockets to power his trailer winches... the kind that you will find on the front of many old style arc welders... only runs the positive side to the rear of the vehicle... picks up the negative through the frame. Been doing so since the 1950's.

I modified a heavy duty plug-in jumper cable for my trailer...

Having lots of vehicles... I have too many batteries that just get old.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #17  
I think you isolator caps are going out after time from just vibration. I have seen them on boats last for many many years and others fail every season. Not enough to worry about only costing $40 or so. If anything, just keep a spare.

Chris

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #18  
Interesting.

I notice the battery box on my Isuzu NPR is large enough to handle two 12V batteries. I only need one because the engine is the 6.0L GMC gasser. The NPR diesel probably uses (or can use) two batteries in parallel.

So maybe I should be looking at one of those dual use batteries (high CCA and deep cycle combo).

Thats what I would do Robert and just put in the box that is there out of the way. Wire it up properly with a isolator and you will be set.

Chris

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #19  
I think you isolator caps are going out after time from just vibration. I have seen them on boats last for many many years and others fail every season. Not enough to worry about only costing $40 or so. If anything, just keep a spare.

Chris

I took the second battery out of the circuit and the main starting battery holds a charge...

Before, the main battery, a 6 month old Interstate Premium would last max 5 days if the vehicle was not driven.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #20  
I work with electric forklifts and I can tell you deep cycle batteries want to be drained before you recharge them if it were mine I would get a grp 27
they have some now that are deep cycle/ starting which would be better if you don't drain them as far as recharge cycles!!