3-Point Hitch Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #1  

jakdeere

Tractor
john deere 2520
I just bought a 5' brush hog for my john deere 2520. I thought deere had the 3 pt rubbing problem fixed? My 2520 is a 2011 and when i used the brush hog yesterday the left 3pt arm rubbed the sh&* out of my left tire. I tried every adjustment that there is on the tractor but when i push on the brush hog it will still make contact with the tire. Does anyone else have this problem? Will reversing the tires solve this?

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #2  
Your side links are way too loose. The mower should not be allowed to move around that much.

I have not had that problem when nothing is mounted on the rear and the arms are loose. I have turf tires not R4's though and the wheel offset may be different.

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing
I do have R4s. It is so bad that sometimes the brush hog will not lower because the 3 pt arm is stuck in between two of tire lugs. Are the side links those silver turn buckles? If so i tried adjusting those both ways, all the way in and all the out. Still had the rub.

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #4  
Can you remove the pins on the bush hog and turn them around so they point in ?

Maybe, I never thought of that. I will look at it tomorrow morning. Thanks.

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #6  
When the mower is mounted on the 3pt - adjusting the sway links is a push-pull - situation. Adjusting one side either takes up slack or increases slack in the opposite sway link.

I try to keep the links "equal". Same number of threads or pin location as the other side.

Ying and Yang. :D

'Course equal can be either too loose or too tight.

Just give it enough sway that when the attachment is lifted up the links aren't so tight they're ready to break! :eek:

AKfish

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #7  
When the mower is mounted on the 3pt - adjusting the sway links is a push-pull - situation. Adjusting one side either takes up slack or increases slack in the opposite sway link.

AKfish

As a bit of a followup to AK's post...once you've adjusted those sway links, raise the cutter and actually see how much sway you have (push side to side on the tailwheel for best leverage). If the link arm is still hitting the tire or tires, you'll want to readjust.

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #8  
I found that I had a similar issue after I reinstalled the 3 pt arms. My box blade kept rubbing the left rear. :confused: What I found was I had removed the pin from the sway links and they loosened up. :ashamed: Once I adjusted them and put the pin in the issue was resolved.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2012-05-26_08-20-50_52.jpg
    2012-05-26_08-20-50_52.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 498
Thank you everyone for your advice. My next days off i'm going to try to get this worked out before i brush hog the rest of my fields. I really don't want to find out what a rear tire costs for my 2520 yet.

/ Deer 2520 3pt arms rubbing #10  
As posted, dont put them tight when the bush hog is on the ground, if you do, you will likely break something when you raise it because they get tighter when raised. IF you cant tighten the turnbuckes enough to keep the tire from rubbing, then likely you have the wrong turnbuckles on it.
Remember that you have to tighten the one on the opposite side from where it is rubbing the tire. The turnbuckle on the left keeps the right side from rubbing and vice versa.
The one problem with the chain type turnbuckle adjustment is that when you have nothing on the lift arms they are free to swing into your tires. I find a bungee cord fastened around them works just right to stop this from happening.