Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work?

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Anyone use their 110 for farm and ranch work?

I've only used mine for digging and moving material.

My brother has a 65 acre pioneer ranch and would like to prepare the bottom land for grapes... it has what's left of an old Christmas tree farm... a few trees with lots of small stumps scattered around.

Never had the backhoe off mine or used it for disking, plowing, tilling or even brush cutting.

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #2  
   / Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #3  
I bought mine in 2005 and used it for both hoe and 3ph work with out issues. In 2009 I added the 4520 for 3ph work so now I rarely take the hoe off. The biggest thing to remember is that Deere does not recommend filling the rear tires on the 110 if you use it with the backhoe. Consequently when using it for draft work with the 3ph it has limited traction.

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #4  
Anyone use their 110 for farm and ranch work?

I've only used mine for digging and moving material.

My brother has a 65 acre pioneer ranch and would like to prepare the bottom land for grapes... it has what's left of an old Christmas tree farm... a few trees with lots of small stumps scattered around.

Never had the backhoe off mine or used it for disking, plowing, tilling or even brush cutting.

I used mine for lots of 3ph work until I bought the 4520. Just keep in mind with unfilled rears that traction is limited when the heavy hoe is removed. Still works pretty well for most things I did.

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #5  
I can not speak of traction issues from personal experience, but Metal wheels weights can be added to help, and are removable for 'hoe work. I have run a pto chipper, and have had no issues. The first time the hoe is removed it will take some time to get the hang of the removal process, and the pins might be 'stuck' a little. Remember to have the engine off when working with hydraulic couplings. I plan to use a sub soiler with a cable layer/trencher attachment to bury some pipe in the coming months. The highly recommended skid plate would also add some low weight, and therefore traction(and stability), as would the drawbar hitch kit (not worth buying just for the weight, but If you really plan to use it as an ag tractor, it would be useful) here's a pic of weights on a 110 tlb.

110wweght.jpg

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work?
I will probably trailer over to his place if he gets serious... the old farm had a Ford from 1950??? that was sold off a few years ago.

I'm thinking once he does the prep work a small tractor should be ok...

He's disappointed I sold my Cat D3 last year... would have made short work clearing all the old stumps and with the ripper breaking up the soil would have been a walk in the park...

/ Deere 110 TLB for farming and ranch work? #8  
Ultarunner
You won't like the 110TLB for field work as it dosen't have cruise control.
A small amount of field work might be ok, BUT you will get tired of holding the foot pedal down all day
Other wise this tractor is fine,
I run snap on dual rear tires on my 110TLB for stability on hillsides, I leave them on all the time no traction problems and it is super stable on a steep place.
DON B