Deere 110TLB Engine Problem

/ Deere 110TLB Engine Problem #1  

mtputney

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 110TLB
I’m wondering if I can some initial thoughts on what might be wrong with our Deere 110TLB engine.

Engine has about 1500 hrs. on it - it has always sounded terrible but never had a performance problem. I was going up a steep hill when it suddenly lost power and it conked out. When I tried to restart the engine, it just cranked over, put out a lot of black smoke and wouldn’t start. This engine always starts immediately and only puts out a little bit of smoke.

Temperatures were both fine when this happened. I checked the oil and hydraulic and they’re both fine as well.

Left it for a while. When I came back it was a bit difficult to start but did eventually turn over. Initial idle was lower than normal and there was an initial black smoke which cleared when I raised the RPM’s. Engine will go up to its full RPM and power.

Now, each time I try to start the tractor it is a little bit more difficult than normal to start, has that period of initial black smoke, and idle is too low. But when the throttle is raised it appears to be running normally.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Deere 110TLB Engine Problem #2  
Start by looking for a fuel restriction. Replace the filter and make sure the tank doesn't have anything growing in it.

/ Deere 110TLB Engine Problem
Thanks - changing the fuel filter and cleaning the fuel bowl right now....

Replacing the fuel filter fixed it!

Filter was near the time for scheduled replacement. Maybe its a coincidence, but we've been buying the diesel fuel from the same place for years and bought this fuel from a different place...if the filter clogs again, we'll drain this fuel and replace.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Tractor seem to work fine for about five hours - then conked out today during heavy load. Attempt to restart revealed a battery that would not turn over the engine (84% charge).

Could this be a bad alternator that has made the electrical supply inadequate at times, and what looked like a bad fuel filter was actually the fuel pump not getting enough juice?

Thanks

Norman

/ Deere 110TLB Engine Problem #7  
Tractor seem to work fine for about five hours - then conked out today during heavy load. Attempt to restart revealed a battery that would not turn over the engine (84% charge).

Could this be a bad alternator that has made the electrical supply inadequate at times, and what looked like a bad fuel filter was actually the fuel pump not getting enough juice?

Thanks

Norman
all it takes is 3 minutes and a volt meter to find out

For you maybe:)

Recharged that battery - the fuel pump runs and the lights come on - but nothing at all from the starter...

Thanks...

/ Deere 110TLB Engine Problem #9  
Load test the battery. Then go from there. It doesn’t take much juice to run the pump and lights.

I don't have a load tester - I can bring the battery into NAPA on Monday. Is there anything I can do with a multimeter? The solenoid isn't even clicking...

Thanks