Deere 4400 hst

/ Deere 4400 hst
Like someone said it’s probably in the rear. I would check the rear diff and final drives. You will have to tear it down to be sure
That makes sense unfortunate. I guess I will take it to the dealer, I just thought I was overlooking something. Thank both of you for trying to help it is deeply appreciated.

/ Deere 4400 hst #12  
Before you take it to the dealer at least take the backhoe off. They are going to do that anyways and there's no reason to pay them to do that. I would also take the loader off as that's not hard to do either.

Now since you have the backhoe off you might as well take the rear cover off and have a look inside. I spent about an hour looking at the parts diagrams and as near as I can figure the front driveshaft drives off of the front of the pinion shaft. So that means that either the pinion shaft is broken or there is something wrong with the spider gears in the differential. I'm inclined to think that it's the spider gears over the pinion shaft. If it's something simple with the spider gears you can fix that yourself. In any case the rear cover is easy to remove to have a look.

/ Deere 4400 hst
Before you take it to the dealer at least take the backhoe off. They are going to do that anyways and there's no reason to pay them to do that. I would also take the loader off as that's not hard to do either.

Now since you have the backhoe off you might as well take the rear cover off and have a look inside. I spent about an hour looking at the parts diagrams and as near as I can figure the front driveshaft drives off of the front of the pinion shaft. So that means that either the pinion shaft is broken or there is something wrong with the spider gears in the differential. I'm inclined to think that it's the spider gears over the pinion shaft. If it's something simple with the spider gears you can fix that yourself. In any case the rear cover is easy to remove to have a look.
Thank you for responding. I will take the backhoe off as soon as it quits raining and photograph the it with the pto cover off. I will see what you think, and again thanks.

/ Deere 4400 hst #14  
I had a 4400 open last fall , its very straight forward drain the 9 gallons of oil and the rear pto is a plate and opens the whole rearend , I had broken gears from dif lock -looked up parts ,google the part numbers and the was a guy stripping a tractor sold me the used gear for like $25 if that was a dealer repair $700 plus , the hardest part would be if you have to pull the axle housings is the bolts that hold the roll bar on are super tight I ended up taking the top of roll bar off and leaving the lower legs on axle housings , while you have it apart pull the brake shafts and clean and lube them and replace the o rings - I think there was 4 total on the rear end -I would have to look at parts diagram don't be afraid of it -just jump in- very straight forward

/ Deere 4400 hst
I had a 4400 open last fall , its very straight forward drain the 9 gallons of oil and the rear pto is a plate and opens the whole rearend , I had broken gears from dif lock -looked up parts ,google the part numbers and the was a guy stripping a tractor sold me the used gear for like $25 if that was a dealer repair $700 plus , the hardest part would be if you have to pull the axle housings is the bolts that hold the roll bar on are super tight I ended up taking the top of roll bar off and leaving the lower legs on axle housings , while you have it apart pull the brake shafts and clean and lube them and replace the o rings - I think there was 4 total on the rear end -I would have to look at parts diagram don't be afraid of it -just jump in- very straight forward
Thank you way cool, I will attempt it as soon as the weather cooperates.

/ Deere 4400 hst
Thank you way cool, I will attempt it as soon as the weather cooperates.
Got the backhoe off and the pto rear cover and found what appears to be 3 spider gears broken in half. Is it possible to replace them, or does the whole diff assembly need to be replaced? One gear has internal splines. 1522340015916.jpg

/ Deere 4400 hst #17  
You can replace the spider gears without replacing the whole diff. I think. If not then you need a differential. And it will come with everything but ring Gear. Check ring and pinion good. I’ve done several but I think it was cheaper to get the whole diff. I really don’t remember. I’m not a tech with deere anymore

/ Deere 4400 hst
You can replace the spider gears without replacing the whole diff. I think. If not then you need a differential. And it will come with everything but ring Gear. Check ring and pinion good. I’ve done several but I think it was cheaper to get the whole diff. I really don’t remember. I’m not a tech with deere anymore
Thank you for responding. I think it is going to the dealer, or may part it out.

/ Deere 4400 hst #19  
If you can't see any chipped or missing teeth on the ring gear and/or pinion gear, just replace the spider gears. Not sure what you'll get into in regards to parts. Sometimes spider gears are only sold in kits. The kits include all the parts needed to replace all four gears, the pin and the thrust washers. Sadly, this will require removing both axle shafts. The gear with internal splines runs on the axle shaft, one for each side. The gear that's smooth on the inside spins on the pin, one for each side.

A trip to your local JD dealer will clarify all the parts questions. While there I would get a mechanic involved. He'll tell you all the other things to replace while there such as axle shaft seals, etc.

He can also offer any suggestions in regards to things you should do to minimize chance of future failure.

/ Deere 4400 hst
If you can't see any chipped or missing teeth on the ring gear and/or pinion gear, just replace the spider gears. Not sure what you'll get into in regards to parts. Sometimes spider gears are only sold in kits. The kits include all the parts needed to replace all four gears, the pin and the thrust washers. Sadly, this will require removing both axle shafts. The gear with internal splines runs on the axle shaft, one for each side. The gear that's smooth on the inside spins on the pin, one for each side.

A trip to your local JD dealer will clarify all the parts questions. While there I would get a mechanic involved. He'll tell you all the other things to replace while there such as axle shaft seals, etc.

He can also offer any suggestions in regards to things you should do to minimize chance of future failure.
Thank you ovrszd for the help. I will go to the dealer for some input as soon as I can to see if there are spider gears available.