deere 755 won't crank over

/ deere 755 won't crank over #1  

arbcon

all lights come on and I hear clicking-as normal- but engine doesn't crank over. I'm thinking it might be the neutral start switch because I recently had to replace a bolt linking the two hydrostatics underneath the tractor. How can I check this? The other possibility is I saw a very small puff of electrical smoke coming from underneath the left side of the dashboard. I've replaced all fuses(including a 20 amp slightly to the left of the main fuse box which was blown), and tapped the starter slightly with a hammer. No further smoke...all connections tight. The tractor's electrics look fine otherwise. It ran two days ago just fine. It's in agarage..all nice and warm. Please help if you can...John

Last edited:
   / deere 755 won't crank over #2  
measure the voltage at on the starter while you crank and get back to us with!

Wayne

/ deere 755 won't crank over
ok....I'll do it...john

/ deere 755 won't crank over #4  
Hello
I haven't seen fuses smoke, they might but I haven't seen it.
I would be looking for a bad spot in a wire that shorted causing the smoke.
Good luck, might be a pain to find.

/ deere 755 won't crank over #5  
Have you cleaned the battery terminals lately???

battery is constant 12.5 volts.....I hooked the multimeter to the starter(black horizontal tube to right of alternator )and get a constant 12.5 volts regardless of the key position-I tired them all-0,position1,position 2. Shouldn't the 12.5 only be in position 2? Still doesn't crank. Wayne what do I do from here?

/ deere 755 won't crank over #7  
Are you sure your checking the starter? The only way to have currect at the starter with the key off it to have a stuck solenoid. If that was the case then you would have some fried wires and the battery would surely be dead. Be sure to check your battery connections and the ground to chassis. My 1070 did the same thing to me right after i got it and it was just a loose battery terminal. If indeed you did let the smoke out of your tractor, then your gonna have to chase down the circuit pathways. Get a manual asap!

/ deere 755 won't crank over #8  
First, check both battery terminals, as well as the ground wire where it attaches to the frame. Remove, clean, and reinstall. Also need to start with a known good battery. Any way you can jump it with a vehicle to be sure you've got a good battery? Checking voltage across the battery isn't enough to eliminate it as a suspect. If all of the above doesn't help, try laying a screwdriver across the 2 big lugs on the starter solenoid. If you've got current to the starter solenoid, the starter motor should spin when you short between the 2 lugs. I just had the same thing happen to me, and I needed to have the starter rebuilt. One day it worked fine, the next time I went to use it, all I got was a click. If the starter spins when you cross the terminals, I'd look at safety switches and the ignition switch. If shorting it doesn't turn it, it's gonna need rebuilt.

/ deere 755 won't crank over #9  
battery is constant 12.5 volts.....I hooked the multimeter to the starter(black horizontal tube to right of alternator )and get a constant 12.5 volts regardless of the key position-I tired them all-0,position1,position 2. Shouldn't the 12.5 only be in position 2? Still doesn't crank. Wayne what do I do from here?

Arbcon: I'll guess/assume your 755 is similar to my 4400. On mine, the starter solinoid (or relay or whatever you want to call it) is part of the starter. If you could get a picture of your's we could tell for your.

The heave red wire is hot all the time. There is another connector that gets 12 volts on it when you turn the key to the crank position. Can you see if you are getting 12 volts to that thing when you try to crank it?

Wayne

I'll try to start it with a jump tomorrow. I pulled the solenoid and still got 12.5. I than jumped the solenoid and got 12.5. I'm wondering if the ignition switch is fried. I'll try to get a pix posted-not sure how to do that so I'll check faq's.Thanks to all for your help. i sure need that tractor running right now...John