Deere 855 bucket float

/ Deere 855 bucket float #21  
so what did you all clean and grease? just the pivoting arms/linkages or did you open up the valve body and regrease the bushings etc?

/ Deere 855 bucket float
is my eyes deceiving me? is there a weld crack on the lever?

Good eye! It does appear to be such, but it's just the photo. It may just be where the welder went a little deep with the heat, or perhaps it has been eaten away by rust. This tractor had sat outside from 1986 - 2009'ish. The previous owner removed all the sheetmetal, blasted everything, repainted, and reassembled with new or reworked sheetmetal. Evidence of its former condition is everywhere, but he did a pretty good job with it.

so what did you all clean and grease? just the pivoting arms/linkages or did you open up the valve body and regrease the bushings etc?

Just the linkage. My valve bodies appear to be in very good shape, likely rebuilt sometime in the last two years by the previous owner.

/ Deere 855 bucket float
Did you replace the pins with nut / bolts ? mine from what I can see has some slop in the pins themselves ? I'm thinking by replacing the pins with grade 5-8 bolts and nylocks would really tighten up the linkage and no cotter pins to deal with later ? like aviation bolts and add safety wire .

Sorry, missed this before. In my case, I kept the pins, as I did not have much trouble with slop. I suspect the smart engineers that designed this considered bolts, but ruled them out as you'd want the unthreaded portion of each bolt to be just the right length, lest the threads cause more slop and wear than pins. I'd stick with the pins, but if you insist on going with bolts, I'd want to use bolts softer than the linkage, not grade 5/8. Let the bolts wear out, not the linkage!

/ Deere 855 bucket float #24  
I have an older JD755 with a JD70 FEL and was having problems with raising the loader boom (controls for curling the bucket and lowering the boom were OK). The problem began about two years ago when raising the boom became intermittently sluggish, and then recently it became nearly impossible to raise the boom. I first thought the hydraulic quik-connect was the problem (it turned out to be OK) and then I thought the SCV need to be rebuilt. I then came across this discussion and discovered that I had the same problem as described by WinterDeere (the lever (part 5) that is supposed to pivot in the control arm block (part 3) was frozen/corroded). As suggested, I used a generous amount of Liquid Wrench and vise-grips to un-freeze these parts. I did not disassemble the linkages or try to rebuild or replace any of the linkage parts, but I did lubricate all other parts of the SCV mechanical linkages as shown in WinterDeere's attached diagram. All boom/bucket functions now operate perfectly! Thanks to all for this very helpful discussion!

/ Deere 855 bucket float
Good! Glad you found your problem.