Deere 855 bucket float

/ Deere 855 bucket float #12  
Yes, 5 is suppose to pivot inside 3.

Thanks for the pictures, My 855 is at my property 60 miles away and I have noticed the loader control is a little sloppy .I stopped at the local JD dealer and asked about a bushing kit they gave me that 1st diagram posted and not much help otherwise the parts man looked at me like I asked for purple giraffe saddle ? I'm sure it's because they want the repair work and I just don't let anyone wrench on my stuff . While I have a few 55 owners here anyone tested their loader hydraulic pressure yet ? I picked up a 0-5000 hydraulic pressure gauge but haven't done it yet and wonder if someone has and the procedure for turning up the hydraulic pressure if needed ? Maybe someone knows where I might find a # 7 hoe ? and if you have one hows it work for you ? I have to say my 855 is one hard working machine and I'm very happy with it . Just want to keep it that way and I'm big on maintenance and my machine has a LOT of work to do this year . thanks for the info, Grumpy :thumbsup:

019.jpg009.jpg

/ Deere 855 bucket float #13  
Just to make things clearer, here's a photo of what I was discussing above. Here, I have one of the tie links (24B) disconnected, and all works well. When I connect both tie straps, things are over-constrained, and I can't get the lever into the float position. It seems to me that if lever 5 was able to pivot in that block at the bottom of lever 3, all would be good. Mine seems frozen, but I'm guessing it should pivot.

View attachment 302358

Thanks to this thread i was able to fix my non floating bucket in five minutes. Thanks to Mechanos we now know lever 5 were attached to lever 3 should pivot in the block as shown in photo
With my seat lifted i was able to see mine was froze up. With BP buster I saturated area and holding lever 5 with channel locks was able to rock bucket lever 3 back and forth until it loosened up. Afer a few minutes lever would click and hold in the float position. With proper maintanance and lube should remain problem free
Thanks for the great help!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for poor edit but red arrrows show were two pieces pivot. lots of buster sprayed there it was froze up,now everything seems to moved more smoothly
cheerz
gregz
100_0596_zps81205e97.jpg

Last edited:
   / Deere 855 bucket float #14  
whoa every single X55 owner is in the thread haha.

I didnt even know they had a float function, yet another thing to do.

/ Deere 855 bucket float #15  
whoa every single X55 owner is in the thread haha.

I didnt even know they had a float function, yet another thing to do.

I'd rather have my paid for 855 than any new machine with payments ! :thumbsup:

/ Deere 855 bucket float
Thanks, Mechanos! I went to a friend's house today, who also has an 855 (his "small" tractor), and verified 3 should indeed move within 5. There's my problem! Came home, got out my can of PB blaster, and found it's out of propellant. Dripped some Liquid Wrench on it, and on my way to do some grocery shopping for the wife, but will disassemble, clean, and grease when I get home!

Ditto what Grumpy said. One user (AgentBlue) really got on my case for buying an older machine, but it does what I need, and I read nothing but positive reviews on the 855. I could afford to buy any machine in the world, but didn't see much point in spending more than I did for the 855, given what I need it to do!

/ Deere 855 bucket float #17  
ooh I love my 755 its great and once my yard becomes more complete im pretty sure i will restore my 755 and keep it for a long time.

/ Deere 855 bucket float
Okay, guys... linkage all disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reassembled. It feels like a new SCV! Everything moves easier and more predictably, and I find I have both a float lock on the uppy/downy control, as well as a regenerative detent on the bucket roll function. Cool! Keeping this area lubed is going to be part of my yearly maintenance, and I recommend anyone with stuck or sloppy controls do this. It's a relatively simple job.

1. Remove knobs from the PTO selector and hi/low gear selector.
2. Crank mower deck height up full.
3. Remove panel containing mower deck height control.
4. Remove panel containing PTO selector and hi/low gear selector controls. This is done by removing two bolts under each fender.

That's it! You can remove the seat mount as well, but I did not find this necessary. Make sure you have a nice assortment of cotter pins on hand before you start this project, as that's how everything is held together.

/ Deere 855 bucket float #19  
Okay, guys... linkage all disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reassembled. It feels like a new SCV! Everything moves easier and more predictably, and I find I have both a float lock on the uppy/downy control, as well as a regenerative detent on the bucket roll function. Cool! Keeping this area lubed is going to be part of my yearly maintenance, and I recommend anyone with stuck or sloppy controls do this. It's a relatively simple job.

1. Remove knobs from the PTO selector and hi/low gear selector.
2. Crank mower deck height up full.
3. Remove panel containing mower deck height control.
4. Remove panel containing PTO selector and hi/low gear selector controls. This is done by removing two bolts under each fender.

That's it! You can remove the seat mount as well, but I did not find this necessary. Make sure you have a nice assortment of cotter pins on hand before you start this project, as that's how everything is held together.

Did you replace the pins with nut / bolts ? mine from what I can see has some slop in the pins themselves ? I'm thinking by replacing the pins with grade 5-8 bolts and nylocks would really tighten up the linkage and no cotter pins to deal with later ? like aviation bolts and add safety wire .

AN4-11A.jpg

/ Deere 855 bucket float #20  
Just to make things clearer, here's a photo of what I was discussing above. Here, I have one of the tie links (24B) disconnected, and all works well. When I connect both tie straps, things are over-constrained, and I can't get the lever into the float position. It seems to me that if lever 5 was able to pivot in that block at the bottom of lever 3, all would be good. Mine seems frozen, but I'm guessing it should pivot.

View attachment 302358

is my eyes deceiving me? is there a weld crack on the lever?