Deere 870 HST pedals sticking

/ Deere 870 HST pedals sticking #1  

Mathias NY

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060, Kubota BX 2350, Case DO, Case DC, John Deere B, John Deere H
Deere 855 HST pedals sticking

I am helping a friend with their 855. It runs and drives, but has had a rough life and sits outside. The direction pedals are very stiff and do not automatically return to the neutral position. I applied grease to the 2 fittings I found for them (one on the pivot for the pedals and one just inside the frame rails from that). It seemed to help, but it is still very stiff. Is there anything else I should attempt to lubricate?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
   / Deere 870 HST pedals sticking #2  
Since I don't have an 855, hopefully 855 owners will jump in and advise you.

My contribution will be, when you select EDIT, you'll see "Go Advanced". Click on that and you can edit the title of your thread (before you get a gadzillion responses telling you the 870 doesn't have HST).

/ Deere 870 HST pedals sticking
Roy - Thanks for the advise. I tried editing it earlier, in the advanced section, and it shows correctly on my screen. But when I save the changes, it doesn't seem to update the title. Maybe the inaccuracy of the title will generate some extra attention :)

/ Deere 870 HST pedals sticking #4  
I have found that when the pedals get stiff, it is usually the link inside the frame. I'm not sure it is the same one you greased or not. It should be the link that has the return spring connected to it. Usually I end up removing the link and disassembling the pivot to clean out any rust or hard grease and then lube it before you reassemble it. The pivot bolt is on an eccentric and it is where you adjust the neutral setting. You will need to adjust it when you go back together.

/ Deere 870 HST pedals sticking
JD110 - Thank you! That is the information I was looking for. I didn't disassemble anything, I only applied a couple pumps to a zerk fitting on the inside of the frame rail. Do you have any pictures of the linkage and does it require any specialized tools?

I'm using the tractor to load my manure spreader and with the sticky pedals it's pretty hard to avoid crashing into the side of the spreader. I'm working with the owner to schedule some maintainence on the tractor. Nothing has been greased in quote some time and I'm sure it's overdue for an oil change. When I have it back at my shop I hope to be able to fix this issue along with a few others.

/ Deere 870 HST pedals sticking #6  
Personally, I'd avoid the grease, as it may just be what is making it stiff. Clean the old grease out and put on some oil.
May very well be needing a cleaning where the controls enter the tranny. If plugged up with manure, mud, debris, the return spring and adjustment may be gummed up. May require removing the right wheel to get in there, but a look-see may tell you all you need to know.