Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #1  

hondo964

Tractor
JD 950 JD 5055e
I recently had a hose leak on the radiator of a Deere 950. As I looked into the radiator when it was empty I could see the build up around the radiator coils. I have to admit that I haven't flushed the coolant. The tractor is from the late 80s and I doubt it has had much done that way. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good, safe product that one could use to remove the build up of crud from the coils? The fluid appears very clean.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #2  
I recently had a hose leak on the radiator of a Deere 950. As I looked into the radiator when it was empty I could see the build up around the radiator coils. I have to admit that I haven't flushed the coolant. The tractor is from the late 80s and I doubt it has had much done that way. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good, safe product that one could use to remove the build up of crud from the coils? The fluid appears very clean.
Your machine is really a Yanmar in JD green paint from the 80s.

From the Yanmar manuals, do not use pressurized compressed air. We typically use a shop-vac with suction on the battery side. Then a leaf blower on low or medium on the fan blade side. This will get the dry stuff out.

If the tube and fins have caked on stuff, a hose with the shower nozzle setting works good. Do not use the jet setting.

IF all this fails, brake cleaner is the last go-to before removing parts out of the way to get in there with a tooth brush and tooth-picks gently removing the crud.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils
This is good to know. Sorry I wasn't clear.....I was talking about on the INSIDE of the radiator.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #4  
Inside the radiator I'd disconnect the top and bottom hoses then apply hose pressure to the bottom, forcing water out the top. I'd also put water into the top of the block bypassing the thermostat and forcing it out the bottom. This is in the opposite direction to normal flow. You should check out some reviews for the flush. I suggest using best radiator flush as a search term. Whatever flush you use, drain the system when done and refill with water to rinse well. Repeat as needed. When done drain and refill again with DISTILLED water. I'd run it a bit then drain and refill with distilled water a time or two to be sure all the rinse water is out. In the future use only distilled water with your antifreeze to help prevent build up.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #5  
This is good to know. Sorry I wasn't clear.....I was talking about on the INSIDE of the radiator.
LOL

OK, you can use the Prestone flush or mix 50/50 Distilled White Vinegar to Distilled water.

IF the radiator has brown sludge in it, then a 75% Distilled White Vinegar to 25% Distilled water is a must. And repeat and needed till all the crud is gone.

The JD950 3T90 aka YM2500 3T80 cooling systems are the same. There should be a drain plumbed off the radiator.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #6  
plus one on the vinegar, and I let mine sit and run until it gets up to a decent temp and then let it cool off before each drain/flush cycle, the vinegar will dissolve
the minerals so they can be flushed out

LOL

OK, you can use the Prestone flush or mix 50/50 Distilled White Vinegar to Distilled water.

IF the radiator has brown sludge in it, then a 75% Distilled White Vinegar to 25% Distilled water is a must. And repeat and needed till all the crud is gone.

The JD950 3T90 aka YM2500 3T80 cooling systems are the same. There should be a drain plumbed off the radiator.
Bmaverick,

Thanks for the post. The Yanmar engine is a sweet little engine.

I wondered if anyone had ever tried distilled vinegar on a tractor radiator and if it was safe to use. A few questions come to mind as I read your post.:

What is the 3T90 you refer to?
Do you start the engine and run it to normal temp or just flush it without running the tractor?
How long do you let the solution sit before draining?
Do you remove any hoses? (there is a drain plumbed at the bottom but the hose is very small).

The drain port at the bottom of the radiator and the drain hose are so small, it makes me wonder if it would get plugged up...

plus one on the vinegar, and I let mine sit and run until it gets up to a decent temp and then let it cool off before each drain/flush cycle, the vinegar will dissolve
the minerals so they can be flushed out
As I think about the engine running, I'm thinking about how the vinegar solution is taken into the engine block. How do you make sure that the vinegar is removed from the block? Do you flush it a couple of times with only distilled water?

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #9  
Granulated dish washer soap. It doesn't foam. Run it in there a few days and drain.

/ Deere 950 - How to remove build up from tractor radiator coils #10  
As I think about the engine running, I'm thinking about how the vinegar solution is taken into the engine block. How do you make sure that the vinegar is removed from the block? Do you flush it a couple of times with only distilled water?
I usally do several flushes, which with a good stream of water will get all the acid out, if it concerns you still, make your last flush/fill with a teaspoon of baking soda disolved into the water to neutralize the acid in the vinegar.