Deere MX7

/ Deere MX7 #11  
She's been on my butt to run power and water to HER high-tunnel for couple of years, now. Putting it off cause I'd have to trench a 9' deep cut approx 500' along the edge of my best hay field. Be 3 years later to recover some of my production along that strip. Aargh.

Had a thought, when (not if, I am married too) you go ahead.. could perhaps run the trencher one way shallow, to take out the topsoil, and go back the other way to full depth.. then you can backfill the trench and put the topsoil at the top? Our neighbours put all their waterlines in during a dairy conversion and although it was way more work, the waterlines were easy to find in the summer. The only part of the field that grew grass. Kinda like deep digging a garden I guess. Sounds really interesting stuff

/ Deere MX7 #12  
I would not be worried about the weight, but as stated i would be WORRIED about the pto wear at start up,

I don't know the weight differences between a MX7 & JD 709 but my 709 @ 1145#s let my JD 2040 & now my Kubota M7040(64 pto hp) know it's back there when I raise it up. One must remember a 7 ft cutter hangs waayy baack behind tractor

/ Deere MX7 #13  
I don't know the weight differences between a MX7 & JD 709 but my 709 @ 1145#s let my JD 2040 & now my Kubota M7040(64 pto hp) know it's back there when I raise it up. One must remember a 7 ft cutter hangs waayy baack behind tractor

Jim, good to see you're still on the air.

Yup... It's a big ol' slab hangin' back there! IIRC - the 09 model is the HD unit and the MX is MD. Probably within 150 lbs of each other, though.

I'd guess that his 110TLB will weigh more than the 2040 as well. The 110 will run it.. Might not like it!

/ Deere MX7 #14  
AKfish
Yep I'm still hangin in here. I sent you a PM when I 1st noticed you had started posting again but I guess it's in cyberspace. It's nice to see you back.
Jim

/ Deere MX7
AK, I was wondering where you were hiding as well. I actually went with a semi mount bush hog 3008. I really had reservations about the MX7 shaft failure and after talked with my dealer about the two. His advice was the semi mount and twin spindle unit would be a less where and tear in the 110. I'm mulling the idea of getting a Deere demo 5083E at the dealer, so I feel the 5083E will be a good match for the Bush Hog.

Matt

/ Deere MX7 #16  
Hey Matt, you probably saved yourself some $$$ and headaches over the long haul with the 8' twin spindle - IMO.
I fell into a similar spot a couple seasons ago. One of my dirt guys had a low acre MX-8 that he bought to use with a DOT-highway roadside brush clearing contract. Discovered that his 2wd 100hp tractor was a "boat anchor" in the steep shoulder road ditches! Stuck all the time. Track Bobcat with front mower was a better tool.
I've got a low-hour cab 4720 with all the bells and whistles that I'd love to trade on a low-hour cab 5083E or 5100E. Either of those tractor's are rarer than "hen's teeth" up here. Never seen one anywhere in this country!

/ Deere MX7
Hey Matt, you probably saved yourself some $$$ and headaches over the long haul with the 8' twin spindle - IMO.
I fell into a similar spot a couple seasons ago. One of my dirt guys had a low acre MX-8 that he bought to use with a DOT-highway roadside brush clearing contract. Discovered that his 2wd 100hp tractor was a "boat anchor" in the steep shoulder road ditches! Stuck all the time. Track Bobcat with front mower was a better tool.
I've got a low-hour cab 4720 with all the bells and whistles that I'd love to trade on a low-hour cab 5083E or 5100E. Either of those tractor's are rarer than "hen's teeth" up here. Never seen one anywhere in this country!

I really wish I could compare an E and M side by side but they aren't common at dealers in this area. It's mostly CUTS, and they 5000 series are mostly ordered. I'm a little gun shy on an E because of the issues posted a lot seemed to have. It looks to me like it's mostly on the India made 5000 series which I believe ends at the 5065E? I'm also not sure if I want open station or Cab and I figure it'll be in the woods with it a lot so the cab is iffy for me. My other plans with it would be mostly ground engagement and Hogging so I may look for one without a loader and then later on add one if needed. Why isn't the 4720 working out for you?

Matt

/ Deere MX7 #18  
I really wish I could compare an E and M side by side but they aren't common at dealers in this area. It's mostly CUTS, and they 5000 series are mostly ordered. I'm a little gun shy on an E because of the issues posted a lot seemed to have. It looks to me like it's mostly on the India made 5000 series which I believe ends at the 5065E? I'm also not sure if I want open station or Cab and I figure it'll be in the woods with it a lot so the cab is iffy for me. My other plans with it would be mostly ground engagement and Hogging so I may look for one without a loader and then later on add one if needed. Why isn't the 4720 working out for you?

Matt

Yeah, IIRC the5083, 101, 85, 100 are assembled in the US. Routine work in the woods is a bad combo for a cab tractor -IMO.

The 4720 Is a great chore tractor - quick, nimble in cramped spaces, lot's of power (not enough traction). Loader capacity for the 400CX is on a par with the 110TLB (not as heavy duty, though).

I like it for snow work around the place, manure work, putting in fence posts, etc. But, I'm gonna scale back on the number of square bales and do more rounds. And, I think using the small square 10-bale grapple on the tractor as well as handling round bales full-time would be more wear and tear on a smaller tractor than is sensible.

So, I'm probably gonna keep my eyes open for another 5000 or maybe a small-frame 6000 machine. Some initial homework tells me a 6330, 6430 is a better deal than a 5100-115M.

/ Deere MX7 #19  
GreatWhite Hunter, you'll get the loader cheaper with the initial sale, just a thought.

AKfish, i'm waiting to see what the new 5r series tractors are going to offer, with the r series being the "cat's meow" in the Deere lineup.
Ronnie

/ Deere MX7 #20  
GreatWhite Hunter, you'll get the loader cheaper with the initial sale, just a thought.

AKfish, i'm waiting to see what the new 5r series tractors are going to offer, with the r series being the "cat's meow" in the Deere lineup.
Ronnie

I would like to see Deere come out with a 5r series with multiple range hydro transmission.