Deere quad transmission

/ Deere quad transmission #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Was looking at an ad for a used Deere 4240 ('81) and the transmission was listed as 'quad'. Is this transmission along the same lines as the Ford/NH powershift where each gear has a hi/lo w/o the need to clutch when shifting between the two?

/ Deere quad transmission #2  
JD Quad range can be shifted without clutch pedal between 1 and 2 OR 3 and4. Must use clutch between 2 and 3 AND all ranges A,B,C,D. Our neighbor had a 4430 quad range(16 speed) and my Dad has a 4440 powershift(8 speed=no "clutching"). I have driven neighbor's quad range at harvest time back in Iowa. You first choose a range(A,B,C, or D) then (1,2,3, or 4) Two levers. Super slow =A and 1; Road speed=D and 4 (22 MPH). Hope this helps.

/ Deere quad transmission #3  
What CATMAN said is correct and I'll just add a bit more info. It has been a long time since I drove a Quad Range transmission, but I think that you need to be at a complete stop before choosing your range: A, B, C or D.

I understand that Quad Range is a good transmission. I never heard much bad about them.

/ Deere quad transmission
ok then...one more question -- Does Deere make a transmission like the Ford/NH powershift (hi/lo in each speed no clutching) and if so what's it called?

/ Deere quad transmission #5  
The QuadRange IS the equivalent of a Ford Dual Power.
quad means that it has 4 gear ranges, and 2 speeds, which are split up by 2 powershift steps. Even though i dont like the Ford transmissions, i still prefer them over the QuadRange because the gearlevers are just set up weird, from a European point of view.

Ford has it the other way around, 2 gear ranges and 4 speeds, also with a 2 stage powershift

On the Eurpean models the 2 speed powershift was called PowerSynchron.

/ Deere quad transmission #6  
Thanks, EquipmentJunkie, I forgot to mention that. The neighbors 1977-1978 4430 tractor with quad range is still going. Unsure of any repairs. My Dad's 1979 JD 4440 as 10,500 hours on it (with powershift and it has had 2-$500 pieces replaced inside the tranny; some modulating valve, I understand) BUT that tractor has been over 200 HP (Factory is 130 HP) for quite a few years.(roughly since 1981) It currently has been set down to 163 HP after the second repair(2005). Long story of how it got set up that high. [Note: Engine has never been touched for any mechanical items] . Very tough, I'd say. Other than needing batteries every 4 years and thermostats every two years, It has been SUPER reliable from 1979 to 2006. I also remember one door wiring harness($46) to get dome light to work again, and two heater hose replacements (which I installed) under the roof for the heater core about 6 years ago during harvest time. I would think a 4240 would be just as reliable on average. I just thought I would share some experiences with you.

/ Deere quad transmission
Thanx very much for the all the infos...I really appreciate the help!