Deere X728

/ Deere X728 #1  

superduty2765

Tractor
Deere X728 Ultimate
Any good or bad thoughts on Deere X728?
Transmission in my Deere X485 is gone and need to replace.

/ Deere X728 #2  
I know quite a few X728 owners (and I will be getting one this year also) and they are all extremely happy with their tractor. They seem to handle a wide variety of jobs very well. :thumbsup:

/ Deere X728
Thank you, I bought x485 new in 2002. Did a lot of work with it in tight spots. And the 25hp gas never had an issue with power so I can only imagine the newer 27hp will be even nicer. The nice part is all attachments are transferable on the X series.

/ Deere X728 #4  
I posted in your other thread but would really suggest that if you replace the X485 that you consider the X748 if everything will swap over. My X749 has plenty of power and really sips the fuel.

/ Deere X728 #5  
I posted in your other thread but would really suggest that if you replace the X485 that you consider the X748 if everything will swap over. My X749 has plenty of power and really sips the fuel.

With the new engines in the X74x for this year there is little difference in power between gas and diesel. Actually some stats show more torque with the gas.

As far as sipping goes, I can't find it now but I saw a study that was done on how long it would take to get paid back on the premium for buying the diesel version, it was over 17 years for the average user.

I think both have more than enough power for the tractor, it is just a matter of what fuel type you prefer.

/ Deere X728 #6  
What I like about the diesel is to be able to run with slow RPM most of the time. It is much quieter and I will definitely keep getting diesel equipment. Personal preference I guess...

/ Deere X728 #7  
What I like about the diesel is to be able to run with slow RPM most of the time. It is much quieter and I will definitely keep getting diesel equipment. Personal preference I guess...

You are correct, it is a personal preference. My understanding though, is the the X74x should always be run at WOT because of the hydro pumps when moving. At least that is what a few techs have said.

/ Deere X728 #8  
The gas engine needs to be run wot as that is where it is producing the power to turn the pump. Diesels are totally different. Anybody who prefers a gas engine over a diesel has never owned a diesel....

/ Deere X728 #9  
The gas engine needs to be run wot as that is where it is producing the power to turn the pump. Diesels are totally different. Anybody who prefers a gas engine over a diesel has never owned a diesel....

I'm just relying on what X74x owners and JD engine technicians say and that is that they should be run at WOT(meaning full throttle) since the pump is rated for max RPM's. Just driving around should be fine at less than WOT but when under load it should be at WOT.

/ Deere X728 #10  
I'm just relying on what X74x owners and JD engine technicians say and that is that they should be run at WOT(meaning full throttle) since the pump is rated for max RPM's. Just driving around should be fine at less than WOT but when under load it should be at WOT.

Well I am an owner who is well pleased with the diesel X749 and no it isn't necessary to run it at full throttle for the majority of the time. Fast idle and up depending on the task I do mow at full throttle on a smooth lawn. Using a 5' landscape rake 1/2 throttle is fine.