Definition of 4WD?????

/ Definition of 4WD????? #1  

barneyrb

Silver Member
A) When all 4 tires pull at the same time in the same direction?
B) Makes it a lot harder to get out when stuck?
C) All of the above?
The correct answer is C :D

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,338
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 873
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 741
   / Definition of 4WD????? #2  
4WD does makes it easier / more tempting to go places you shouldn't. In the winter time I'd also add to your list: "More ability to go than ability to stop."

/ Definition of 4WD????? #3  
My dad's definition of 4WD:

"Doesn't mean you don't get stuck---just that you get stuck worse than everybody else":eek:

/ Definition of 4WD????? #4  
4wd gets you stuck farther from help!

/ Definition of 4WD????? #5  
Most tractors have rear brakes only, so when 4wd is engaged, the fronts help you slow down or stop better than just the 2 rears. Especially handy for going down steep slopes.

/ Definition of 4WD????? #6  
mentat30 said:
4wd gets you stuck farther from help!

Yep.. I've only owned 1 4wd tractor... It's also the only tractor I've been stuck in too...

soundguy

/ Definition of 4WD????? #7  
Hmmm, I'll be a stick in the mud (no pun intended). I GUESS you could say that all answers are correct but (in a tractor sense) to clarify when referring to "4 wheel drive" most people mean that the front wheels are turning at a slightly faster rate than the rears so that they can assist in moving the tractor forward. There ARE some true 4-wheel drive tractors out there. Look at some of the big Deeres. All wheels, maybe even 6 or 8 if dual, are the same size and turn at the exact same rate. Those tractors are good for heavy deep plowing. That's TRUE 4-wheel drive and not front-wheel assist or MFWD. But I would venture to guess that the latter is more likely to get you stuck!;)

So while it's true that all four wheels turn in the same direction at the same time, the front wheels turn a little faster. Your answer is still correct and I don't want to spoil the fun but just clarify that point.

/ Definition of 4WD????? #8  
Allows me to climb just a little higher on that cliff to get that pretty rock my wife wants in her yard!

/ Definition of 4WD????? #9  
Soundguy said:
Yep.. I've only owned 1 4wd tractor... It's also the only tractor I've been stuck in too...

soundguy

I've got three 4-WD tractors, 2 at the house and 1 at the farm and I've never stuck any of them. It's been interesting a couple of times though. I've also got two 4-WD pickups but that's a different story and the reason why I like 4-WD tractors. You gotta pull them out with something!!!!!

/ Definition of 4WD????? #10  
barneyrb said:
A) When all 4 tires pull at the same time in the same direction?
B) Makes it a lot harder to get out when stuck?
C) All of the above?
The correct answer is C :D

hehe, looks like a place you KNEW you should not have gone. Were you trying to cross the lake? :D