Determining Acceptable Value of Inherited Real Estate?

/ Determining Acceptable Value of Inherited Real Estate? #171  
It's possible... but one step at a time.

Even at the higher price I'm still getting a 33.3 % discount...

One thing I have learned is there is a difference between the way you think things are and the way they are when it comes to human nature...

I know I did the best for mom and dad and followed their wishes in care and by keeping a watchful eye on finances so that there is something left...

I could never sign on to spend it all down and the walk so the parent becomes a Ward of the state... seen it happen too often and it's sad when the money runs out and the State takes over.
you are a good man utlrarunner, I would have a hard time not holding a grudge against my siblings, fair market value would be more then fair for them, if sold to a stranger and splitting the profit ok but in this case its Bananas ... Imagine if you couldn't afford it then what, would it be a big F U to you ?? , their greed will be their downfall sooner or later. You are taking it very well.

/ Determining Acceptable Value of Inherited Real Estate?
Reads like you are wrapping it up successfully.
It still seems like you got shafted in supporting your Mother, but I respect that.
I still think you should submit the others a bill for support services. Just to lay out how much you spent of your time and money compared to whatever they spent.
It was more like life on hold since 2015 and the knockout of the pandemic lockdowns...

We managed and mom's friend is an angle... she is retired and they would walk everyday sometimes miles and miles and later would sit with mom...

I do think good people have good things happen in times of great need...

If I had to condense it would be not be able to schedule anyone even once to be with mom... and the lockdown really sealed it on top of that...

When grandma had a stroke, mom was on a plane the next day and was grandma's private nurse for 4 months...

In that time mom trained her 8 surviving siblings on how to care for grandma...

There was a calendar and each family had shifts... grandma was never alone.

The calendar meant someone from that branch would be there and if you couldn't, you made calls or traded days and it WORKED...

No questions, no being not available...

Moms inheritance was a family album of us and grandmas Rosary and Cross which she used from that day on.

Maybe close knit farm families are just use to everyone pitching in?

you are a good man utlrarunner, I would have a hard time not holding a grudge against my siblings, fair market value would be more then fair for them, if sold to a stranger and splitting the profit ok but in this case its Bananas ... Imagine if you couldn't afford it then what, would it be a big F U to you ?? , their greed will be their downfall sooner or later. You are taking it very well.
It was a privilege and we had plenty of good times and laughs...

For many years all she needed was a little help with reminders and not cooking anymore for safety...

Too often too many are quick to find a place for convenience sake.

I use to get calls that mom was calling everyday asking about the grandkids and saying when am I going to see you guys... I said if it's that bad just block the number...

Last edited:
   / Determining Acceptable Value of Inherited Real Estate? #174  
I've read that dementia patients do much better in familiar surroundings like being at home provided you can keep them safe.

I've read that dementia patients do much better in familiar surroundings like being at home provided you can keep them safe.
Exactly on all counts provided they have a good disposition...

Often a true unfiltered self comes out... it can be kind and appreciative or foul mouthed and combative...

I've been fortunate all around but do know a few not so fortunate where violent outburst became too much...

Mom was still thinking about the grands and Christmas... It was her wish there be something from her and no one questioned it when I followed through.

/ Determining Acceptable Value of Inherited Real Estate? #176  
Sometimes they remember surprising details of events that happened a long time ago in spite of mental decline.

Sometimes they remember surprising details of events that happened a long time ago in spite of mental decline.
The commander and his wife took in the wife's mom as she could no longer live alone...

I remember her when I was a teen.

In her 20's she lived in San Francisco.

Several times she had made her way back to that house 65 years after it had been sold...

She was well dressed with gloves and purse and had to somehow walk miles to the bus, transfer several times crossing bridges and would show up saying she couldn't get in the house.

She knew her name, where she was born, her parents and grandparents names, etc...

She even said one of the nice bus drivers let her on the bus when she said she forgot her coin purse...

It did drive the commander and his wife nuts... happened a couple of times.

The mind and how it works...