Determining shop’s value over time?

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #41  
Re: Determining shop痴 value over time?

spoken like someone that has only been married once (if at all), never been around a divorce situation where assets are an issue, where the divorce is of 'poor' or un-equal income.

while 80% of first time marriages last for life, the other 20% go round and round often many times - i have a 75 year old friend on her 4th marriage. (hence the statistic that 50% of marriages end in divorce).

My first and only wife was married once before I met her. Guy who IMO is lucky to be alive since my wifes dad found out what was going on in a small town and I would not want my FIL mad at me.

My wife left her husband and the only thing she wanted was the puppy they bought together. She got the dog and left the ex with everything (house, tractor...) because she wanted nothting to do with him.

Karma has a way of finding itself back to the person over time. Won't dwell on what happened to her ex LOL.

Your life isn't about assets IMO, it's about being fufilled with your life and being happy with what you're doing and who you're doing it with.

Not certain if you would ever understand that given all the crap you have to look at if you want to be with this guy or not?

Attachments

• P.png
    P.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
   / Determining shop’s value over time? #42  

spoken like someone that has only been married once (if at all), never been around a divorce situation where assets are an issue, where the divorce is of 'poor' or un-equal income.

while 80% of first time marriages last for life, the other 20% go round and round often many times - i have a 75 year old friend on her 4th marriage. (hence the statistic that 50% of marriages end in divorce).

Yes, I've only been married once. I have been around divorce situations in my family and friends. A couple ended equitably. Most ended lopsided financially. While I can see that people want to protect their assets going into a marriage the 2nd time, it's still a marriage. If kids are involved from a previous relationship, you may want to protect your assets that you've saved for them. I can understand that.

However, look at it this way...

I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I don't want you screwing me over financially in two years, so sign this paper because, well, that level of trust really isn't there and never will be. Everything I earned in the past is mine and I'm not willing to give any of it up if I or you decide we don't want to be married anymore.

So why get married in the first place????

If you're living together, just visiting, etc... and it's working well, why muck it up with marriage and legal documents when you already have it in the back of your mind that there's a good chance it won't work out?

:confused3:

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #43  
Oh I wish! We have thought about it... but no one is willing to sell a small parcel.

Sounds like the best option then would be to not proceed further. If neither of you can afford the shop at the present time don't build one. It sounds like he has a primary job which does not use the garage or shop. You also mentioned that his shop desires are more expensive/ornate that what you could see yourself wanting. Coming from a state that taxes up the wazoo, I'd hate to have something which is taxed on my place that I don't want. I'm just not sensing ANY commitment from anyone here. It's just a convenience thing... I've never heard of that being a path to success in life.

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #44  
Oh I wish! We have thought about it... but no one is willing to sell a small parcel.

What about you? Can you subdivide off a half acre or whatever's needed, right where it makes the most sense?

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #45  
I can respect the "burned once" mentality. But considering the assets, and each of your situations, I'd keep it 100% separate. Have him move his stuff in and pay a reasonable rent that you both agree to. But its all yours. If he wants a shop, he can help pay for it, build it whatever. You pay taxes on it. Its yours.

In the same respect, his side gig, his income, his house and rent derived is his.

The fail safe gets messy. You both have some history, baggage and you have your son and extended family to think about. It gets very complicated once you start adding assets that belong to a non-family member (in the eyes of the law).

/ Determining shop’s value over time?
What about you? Can you subdivide off a half acre or whatever's needed, right where it makes the most sense?

I absolutely would if I could! However, that would take away my ability to claim an ag exemption on property taxes. I’m not 100% certain but it could also possibly put me at risk for having to pay A LOT of back property taxes as well. Trust me, that’s in no ones best interests.

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #47  
I absolutely would if I could! However, that would take away my ability to claim an ag exemption on property taxes. I’m not 100% certain but it could also possibly put me at risk for having to pay A LOT of back property taxes as well. Trust me, that’s in no ones best interests.

If you have an ag exemption you will probably fall out of compliance building a non-ag structure on it. At least, that's how it would work here.

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #48  
If you have an ag exemption you will probably fall out of compliance building a non-ag structure on it. At least, that's how it would work here.
As a farm shop that is also used for other things, she could probably get away with it, but not as a building on a separate piece of property.

Aaron Z

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #49  

so subdivide some of your land and sell/lease it to him? You can check on it at least as an option.

In my twp you must have a residence on the land to build a 'barn' or such. However, where our farm is, one township over, the rules are very different.

And a 'shop' is perfectly in-line with ag-use. tractor storage,repair, etc. keep the chems/flammables out of the barn

/ Determining shop’s value over time? #50  

I got nothin. :laughing:

I'm of the school (like others) of marriage that if you plan on an exit strategy before the marriage, just don't get married in the first place. While I can understand the desire to protect your assets if something happens, marriage, to me at least, means the two become one. If the two of you can't get to that point, and aren't willing to "risk it all" then just push the marriage scenario "over there" for a while. ;)

What you're really after is a business adventure with fringe benefits (wink wink).

As others have mentioned, you'd be well served to consult an attorney that specializes in prenups. He/she will hopefully have a good grasp of what the two of you want to accomplish with that agreement.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I concur... My feelings exactly.