Dethatcher or?

/ Dethatcher or? #1  

Rcsask

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
we got about 2 acers of nice grass around the house and buildings was wondering what everyone is using to dethatch there lawns. i got a lawn sweeper to clean it up after its done. ive seen the 40 inch pull type ones from big box stores and im sure they work but seem quiet cheap. whats everyone using?

/ Dethatcher or? #2  

/ Dethatcher or? #3  
1681555386855.jpeg

Start with this. It cures my foolish notions about golf course quality lawns.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Dethatcher or? #4  
I've had an AGrifab dethatcher like this for about 20 years. It may look cheap, and it is cheap, and it still works to this day. I strap 2-4 concrete blocks to the top depending on conditions.

Then I pull an Agrifab sweeper to pick it all up. Then I may throw down some seed and fertilizer if I'm inclined to do so. The lawn will look rough for a couple weeks, but then really perks up as long as there's decent moisture.

/ Dethatcher or? #5  
I've never dethatched my 30 year old lawn, (or fertilized or used weed/feed or water). Once a week I mow about three acres around the house with a zero turn with mulching blades and leave the clipping on the lawn. The lawn is in great shape. I'm lucky to have good, deep topsoil, although on the heavy/clay side. It does have good water retention and it rarely burns unless we have an extended drought, (3 - 4 weeks). I tilled in tons of wood chips 30 years ago when the lawn went in.

/ Dethatcher or? #6  
I use an Agri-fab dethatcher, and then I scalp and bag the clippings so that I can mow at 2” for maintenance.