Diabetes

/ Diabetes #171  
There are all sort so doctors with YouTube channels and books saying to minimize carbs to loose weight and to improve general health. Others say otherwise, thus my statement on who you want to believe. Also as I said, I will get my blood work checked and see how the numbers go. Then go back to the cut oatmeal and get tested again. That was the plan before the pandemic hit and there was no going to the doctors at that point.
I'm glad you are getting your blood worked checked.

/ Diabetes #172  
There are all sort so doctors with YouTube channels and books saying to minimize carbs to loose weight and to improve general health. Others say otherwise, thus my statement on who you want to believe. Also as I said, I will get my blood work checked and see how the numbers go. Then go back to the cut oatmeal and get tested again. That was the plan before the pandemic hit and there was no going to the doctors at that point.
Getting the numbers checked is the key to see if you need to make diet changes. First there are blood sugar monitors to see what your level is at a given moment and then there are the A1C tests that you get from the lab. The A1C levels are a look back 3 months that essentially gives the results of what you have been eating in that period as well as how much exercise. The number is supposed to be less than 5.7. I am getting my A1C checked every 6 Months to see if I am tracking as well as my cholesterol. I have had some A1C numbers above that but generally they have been lower. A period with less exercise and more eating out will increase my number. I can literally take my blood sugar level before and after exercise and see significant reduction in sugar level.

/ Diabetes #173  
There are all sort so doctors with YouTube channels and books saying to minimize carbs to loose weight and to improve general health. Others say otherwise, thus my statement on who you want to believe. Also as I said, I will get my blood workther anduff all the st checked and see how the numbers go. Then go back to the cut oatmeal and get tested again. That was the plan before the pandemic hit and there was no going to the doctors at that point.
DM, my impression from my low carb brother and all the stuff out there is that replacing carb burning with fat burning ONLY works if you go all in 100%. This is extreme, where fatty meats and cheese are fine but not any oatmeal or a single piece of fruit.

Speaking of fruit. I cannot see how it is bad for diabetes. Fruit is low calorie density and full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and fluid. It is filling. Fruit juice is bad, sure. It is so much fructose, you'd have to eat a crate of oranges or apples to get that much fruit sugar. You couldn't do it. But fruit juice has to hit a diabetic body, or any body, hard.

I shake my head at my own prior ignorance about calories and portions. Didn't know what to say when my brother, bless his heart, would give me grief for eating an apple. He was right per Keto diet. But I see now my weight wasn't from the 200 calories I gained from eating an apple and a banana but the 2,800 calories from everything else that day!

/ Diabetes
what is the current thinking on sugar substitutes? I drink Diet 5 cran mango or cran something and I wonder if the artificial sweetener is just as bad for me as the sugar.
plain water is so boring...
what else to drink that is refreshing and not glycemic? Iced tea? Fizzy water?

Don, thanks for info on fat. Well.....maybe after planting tulips today I'll go for a long walk. With my arthritis and plantar fasciites, walking is no longer fun for me, but
being sick or really unhealthy is even less fun for sure.

saw three docs in last week. Two thought fasting was good. Appears morning food very important.
any suggestions here for a newbie faster?

/ Diabetes #175  
what is the current thinking on sugar substitutes? I drink Diet 5 cran mango or cran something and I wonder if the artificial sweetener is just as bad for me as the sugar.
plain water is so boring...
what else to drink that is refreshing and not glycemic? Iced tea? Fizzy water?

Don, thanks for info on fat. Well.....maybe after planting tulips today I'll go for a long walk. With my arthritis and plantar fasciites, walking is no longer fun for me, but
being sick or really unhealthy is even less fun for sure.

saw three docs in last week. Two thought fasting was good. Appears morning food very important.
Its not understood, but people who consume a volume of artificial sweeteners tend to be overweight and run high A1C's. We best limit them.

/ Diabetes #176  

/ Diabetes #177  
No one else here is using a CGM? I have for about 5+ years and you could not get me to quit. Knowledge is your freind.

What is a CGM?

Image result for cgm

What is continuous glucose monitoring? Continuous glucose monitoring automatically tracks blood glucose levels, also called blood sugar, throughout the day and night. You can see your glucose level anytime at a glance. You can also review how your glucose changes over a few hours or days to see trends.

/ Diabetes
Don, thank you. I need real food. That stuff was tea and gruel. Maybe that's what it takes.

Arly, hope I never need it but good to know. Is the sensor under your skin, attached to a vein?

/ Diabetes #179  
Don, thank you. I need real food. That stuff was tea and gruel. Maybe that's what it takes.

Arly, hope I never need it but good to know. Is the sensor under your skin, attached to a vein?
Skin. All home diabetic control items go into your skin. (all commonly used items)

/ Diabetes #180  
Over the years living with Type 2, I have learned certain facts:
1. Diabetes is not curable, but can be tolerable.
2. Every person with diabetes reacts different to certain foods and meds or treatments.
3. A dietition is good for education and learning about nutrition.
4. It is good to talk with your doctor. That also is education and learning about diabetes and possible treatments.
5. If you MUST eat foods you do not like, learn about spices and make it to your liking. I hated broccoli. Learned a better way to cook it with some spice. Love it now.
6. Your doctor, your dietition, and your wife can tell you what to do. BUT, only you knows what you can do and are willing to do. For that reason alone, take charge of your own treatment and rules.
8. If you are not successful maintaining diabetes, it is not your doctors fault. LEARN how it works and do the best you can. Own it.
9. If diabetes is the wagon, we ALL fall off and then try to get back on. Never give up. It is not so hard to do well. It is very difficult to continue to do well as the years pass. Some foods are just so good they deserve to be served. Maybe not eaten.
10. For me, Insulin is NOT THE answer, only the last answer. It must be used responsibly. Too much insulin is the road to weight gain. Weight is the circle that increases insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can mean more insulin is needed.

This is what I have learned. Your experience will probably be different. But most important, OWN IT. I had a friend who was feeling sorry for himself because he found he was diabetic. I asked him - which would you choose - diabetes - heart attack - cancer? Of course he responded Diabetes. Then we are lucky, be grateful and do the best you can. Take care.

And about sweeteners. Like Splendia and Stevia. They are great tools to help remove sugar from the things you like. Stevia is good if used in drinks. Splenda can be substituted for a certain amount of sugar and will bake.

I should also add, there is a liquid sweetener named EZSWEETZ. It can be added when the recipe calls for added sugar. One drop = one teaspoon. One teaspoon of it = 2 cups of sugar. It is 0 calories and 0 carbs. The bottle I have has lasted for 7 years and cost $15 when I bought it. Mine is a 2 oz dropper bottle. Today, it is on Amazon for $30 for 3 bottles. Also great for adding to liquid drinks.

Last edited: