Dealer Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100?

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #1  

Herkypilot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 HDC12, KX040 & L3540 HST
My new MX5100 is category 1 and 2 rated. The three point hitch has category 2 mounting links in the lower arms, but the top link swedge tube has a category 1 mounting hole. I have three bushings in the small tool box to fit up Cat 1 implements so I believe the dealer just put the wrong top link on before I purchased. Unfortunately I didn't notice this at the time of purchase. Dealership is out of state and I transported home. I just need someone with the same tractor to tell me what they have before I contact the dealership for a replacement. MX5100 & MX4700 should have the same top link.

Thanks
HP

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #2  
I have a new MX5100 and the implement end of the top link had the large hole which I think is cat 2. Your dealer made a mistake. They should be able to send you the correct top link UPS.
In the meantime enjoy your new MX5100. I have 20 hours on mine and so far so good. It still seems a lot bigger then my L3700. I really havent worked it hard yet. Good luck!

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100?
CJBOTA,
Thanks - Actually I haven't been able to do anything with my tractor yet besides loading onto and off my trailer. I picked it up last week in GA, got it home and discovered I had a rear axle leak. I took it to a local dealer for warranty work and had them fill the rear tires. I just got it back today and took a closer look at the top link and noticed it was for a cat 1.

I won't get to work the tractor until week after next up in VA where my land is.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Slowzuki - you had it exactly right! I went out and took another look and it was installed backwards! Cat 2 hole on a cat 1 pin. Thanks -

HP

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #4  
Check to see if someone installed it backwards with the Cat 2 end at hte tractor. Thats what the dealer had done on my 5030.

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #5  
Just a question. But does the top link get turned around if you want to use cat one attachments or do you just put bushings into it?

I don't think so - the small tool box on the tractor had three bushing, 2 short and 1 long, that fit into the holes on the 3pt hitch to covert to cat 1. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to swap ends on the top link, but looking at it, you could use the supplied bushing and swap it around. That way you don't have to mess with the bushing for the top link all the time if you have a cat 1 implements...but who knows - I'm a newbie to all this, just my observation.

HP

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #7  
My L5740 which is also Cat 1/2 came with a top link sized Cat 1 at the tractor end and Cat 2 at the implement end, also with a whole slug of bushings in the tool box. I think this is the top link you should have got. I broke the Cat 1 end at the tractor and I now have a link with Cat 2 both ends and a sleeve at the tractor so I didn't have to mess with special brackets. Not sure why Kubota made the top link Cat 1 at the tractor if all other points of the 3 pt were sized Cat 2, but they did.

I broke the Cat 1 end at the tractor and I now have a link with Cat 2 both ends and a sleeve at the tractor so I didn't have to mess with special brackets.

Could you elaborate on how you "broke" the cat 1 end of that top link? seems pretty stout to break.

Thanks
HP

/ Did dealer give me the wrong top link on MX5100? #9  
When I put my befco mower on for the first time i found the bushings they gave me for the lower arms were not wide enough. The bushings were only as wide as the eyelet but the bracket was wider so the bushing slid out and only engaged the eyelet by about a quarter of an inch. I am going to have to either get wider bushings or make shims for both sides of the eyelet.

I'll have to take a look at mine. I just bought a Bush Hog SQ 172 and a Bush Hog SBX 720 box blade which are both Cat 1. I'll have to use the supplied bushings - we'll see how it goes this weekend.

HP