Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #11  
Folks - I'm changing the oil on my kubota B2410 for the first time, and only after I added half the new oil did I notice that on the front of the oil bottle it says "For Gasoline Engines".
Yes, you put the wrong oil in your B2410.

Last edited:
   / Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #12  
After reading this post I sure hope I didn't screw up. I did the same thing last spring except I filled it up and ran it for a minute to fill the oil filter. After my "oops" moment I drained the oil out and put in the diesel oil. The filter sits horizontally so I didn't mess with it.

I hope everything works out okay for me. ??

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #13  
Just an uneducated guess on my part, but I'd bet it would make no difference for one oil change.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #14  
"For Gasoline Engines". Means you put the wrong oil in your B2410.

Brownie, do you read the posts, or just want to throw something up there to rub someone the wrong way? He knew that yesterday and really didn't need your useless comment.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #15  
sounds like you now have 2 spare quarts of lawnmower or compressor oil.

unless you precharged the filter.. I'd re-use it.

soundguy

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #17  
Ken,

Lots of good advice thus far and not you did not hurt anything, even if you decide to leave it in and just change it really early it will not "hurt" anything.

I would drop it and use it for make-up oil on a mower or other gas engine as others have suggested.

A note on viscosity....

The greater the difference between the two viscosity numbers the WORSE it is for the engine, generally and this does not really apply with fully-formulated synthetics like Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc.

Regardless of other factors, you should always use the viscosity specified by the engine manufacturer for the temperatures the equipment will be operated in. In many, but not all cases, this will be a single specification regardless of temperature (in the lower 48 any way) such as 5W-30. In extreme temperatures, other viscosities might be advised by the manufacturer such as 15W-40 for high temperature operation.

In years past, it was common to have multiple oil recomendations, but as oil technology has improved drastically over the past 20 years, this is less common now with most manufacturers centering on 5W-40 synthetic for year-round use in the colder climates and everywhere else 15W-40 conventional oil.

My recomendation is that if you are using a fully synthetic name-brand oil, use 5W-40 year-round and if anything else follow the manufacturer's directions exactly.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #18  
Rotella 10w-30 Semi Synthetic or Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic available at every last WalMart I've ever been in. Just sayin'. The sheer availability and ease of finding it sells Shell a lot of diesel oil.

Diesel 10w-30 is not hard to find, if you can locate a Wally World store, I know they're hard to find sometimes, you're all set. :laughing:

$16 a gallon. Synthetic 5w-40 is $20 a gallon.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #19  
...if you can locate a Wally World store, I know they're hard to find sometimes, you're all set. :laughing:

Truer words than you realize. Until about three years ago, the closest Wally World was 135 miles from me. Now they've set up nice and close... 70 miles! :thumbsup:

Joe

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie
Thanks for all the help, folks. I drained out the oil, saved most of it. It was surprisingly dirty for just having been poured in and taken right back out. So maybe I can tell myself that I cleaned some crud out of the crankcase, it might not be a total screwup.

I unscrewed the filter, and it was completely empty and looked the same as when I'd put it on, so I did reuse it.

I'll keep an eye out for some diesel 10W-30 for the next oil change, but do I have it right that the amsoil synthetic 15W-40 is fine? I'd hate to have problems in the winter cold, I really need that big snowblower to work no matter how cold it gets.

Ken