Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp...

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #1  

SteveA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Did the 50 hour job on my L3130HST yesterday after picking up a few tips and pitfalls here.
The motor oil change was routine. No issues there. Went with Royal Purple 15-40 but I won't tell anyone to avoid catching heck from the oil nazis.:D
I then drained the front end which was loaded with gear oil. It is a very slow drain. To get as much out as possible, I suggest using 2 pans and open up both sides and let it go overnight. Re-filled the front end with Mobil 1 75-90. A little pricey but flows well and is a little heavier than SUDT.
Now on to the hydro oil. My machine has 4 drains. I first pulled the main large hex bolt drain. The oil comes fast and hard. I suggest using a pan than can hold 10 gal. plus. Since I did not have a pan of that capacity, I alternated a couple of smaller containers and dumped them into 5 gal. pails as they filled. A little messy this way but got the job done.
I then opened up the large recessed allen type drain and nothing came out. Evidently the oil there flows out the other drain. All that fuss finding a 10mm allen wrench for naught. I then located and opened the 2 drain plugs for the rear end. Maybe a gallon combined came out.
As for filters, I used an aftermarket Wix for the hyd. side. This filter did not come with the ring magnet the OEM filter had. Since the Wix filter top is not as recessed as the OEM, I could not re-use the magnet. I am not sure if the lack of a magnet is an issue. I might pick up an OEM and install it shortly. I used an OEM on the trans. side since Wix does not market this one. It was on tight but eventually came off. I plan on purchasing in the future a professional quality filter wrench to avoid having to use the "toy" wrench I bought at the local chain auto parts store again.
I simply re-filled the hydro system with SUDT by slowly pouring into a long funnel right from the 5 gal. bucket. A little tough on the ole back but I didn't spill a drop.
After warming up the machine and checking the fluid levels, I went out back to play. Ended up burying the tractor up to the axles while pushing some brush in a swampy area. Had to lift the front wheels out of their ruts with the loader and put in a few 4 x 4's to clear the frame. Was able to drive it out but learned a lesson here.

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #2  
Just a word of advice: stick with the OEM filetrs for the hydro. The rubber gasket is better (unless the aftermarket ones changed) on the OEM. My old L4310 had a wix on it that blew the seal out and shot hydro oil all over a lawn. Not a pretty sight. I still use wix (actually carquest branded wix) for engine oil on just about everything.
For your getting stuck, put the bucket in full dump position, drive it into the ground, hit reverse and roll the bucket.
-Rich

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #3  
Any pics of the tractor in the swamp?

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #4  
Wow, you must have really messed up the maintenance if you felt you needed to bury the tractor in a swamp....

jb

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #5  
SteveA; You must have misunderstood all the old geezers down at the hardware store. What they told you was: "Change the oil and then go bury it".

They MEANT, change the oil and then go BURY THE OIL. (Not the tractor)

I'll bet one of them is saying These young punks just don't listen anymore....

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #6  
Must be the season. Got my L4300 stuck in the swamp Sunday. Found out that the bucket roll thing only works if going straight back gets you back on solid ground. My right side & front was down in the muck while the left rear was on a somewhat solid (but still muddy) ground.

Luckily it was warm enough for the old Ford 4000 to run. Ran a chain from the back of the bushhog (on the Ford) to the Kubota's drawbar and brought her out as pretty as you please. Only had a 10' chain, so the extra length of the BB720 came in handy.

Cain't never have too many tractors.
Bob

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp... #7  
It took me a long time (20+ years) :confused: to finally figure out that you should not be driving tractors during Mud Season in NE. I am currently "confined" (self imposed for once :rolleyes:) to the relative safety of my driveway :(. I did "sink" :eek" my rider and utility cart this weekend. Jay

/ Did my 50 hour service and then buried it in a swamp...
Sorry guys, no photos of the quagmire. I did wish I could lock in the rear posi-traction without having to continually hold down that stupid lever with my foot. Should the posi only be engaged when the tractor is still and at idle?