Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate"

/ Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate" #11  
When you replace the shear bolt, try to work some grease into the tiny space between the spinning shaft and the now-stationary hub, or drill and tap a grease fitting into the hub.
My auger shear system is the older, hub/shaft shear style and my hub has a grease fitting on it, to prevent the grinding and galling that will occur when the shaft is still turning and the (dry) hub is stationary.
As long as the bolt is driving the two pieces at the same RPM, no grinding occurs. As soon as you shear, that changes.
That snap ring may be to keep the shaft and hub engaged and in position if the shear bolt is no longer doing that.

After looking at parts diagrams I don't think greasing the fan shaft is necessary. Each end of the fan is outfitted with an Olight bushing which appears to be a sintered oil impregnated bushing. The shaft would spin on these bushings if the case of shearing the pin.

/ Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate" #13  
Thanks, mgstevens; I see now: the bolt with the nylock nut just attaches the plate to the shaft and the socket-head bolt is the shearipin.... Looks like there's just one off-center shearpin mounted to an "egg-shaped" plate -- is that right?

PS-- I'm in the same boat: the M-F dealer is over an hour away, but a Kubota dealer is only about a half hour away, so guess where I get my 2360's shear bolts (and other blower parts) --

Thanks for the research at RAD Technologies!

/ Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate"
Looks like there's just one off-center shearpin mounted to an "egg-shaped" plate -- is that right?
Thanks for the research at RAD Technologies!

My 2360 was manufactured in 2018 and changes the fan-shear-point from a "through-the-shaft" 5/16" shear bolt, which is a Grade 8, notched bolt, according to the older user manual I got with my 2360, to a "fan shear plate" which is the egg-shaped 2-part plate with the shear bolt through the eccentric point.

The bolt used in the fan shear plate is both smaller (1/4" vs 5/16") and a Grade 5 vs Grade 8 used in the earlier method. When the picture and description for the shear bolt in my manual (which was from 2012..) did not at all line up with what I was seeing, and the dealer showed a standard Grade 5 shear bolt in their stock for that fan shear plate, while the OEM bolt was more like what KC (Red In MT) referred to as a machine screw, I decided to call the manufacturer in the hopes I could find clarity.

Before 'clarity,' there was greater confusion when the tech support insisted the fully-threaded shank of the OEM bolt was needed to give the shear point relief, which did not line up with the bolt offered by the MF dealer, and someone else's Kubota dealer, and Jack's online stock. So, I had the mfg person check with their engineering people and was told that the standard Grade 5 bolt replacement available in the field was correct, even though the shear point of the replacement bolt was a full, non-threaded shank, which seems to go against every other shear bolt I've seen. This must be a combination of the smaller diameter and the lesser grade of the fan shear plate bolt over the thru-the-driveshaft bolt from earlier versions of the 2360.

Thankfully, the mfg has emailed me the up-to-date PDF manual and is mailing me the print version of both user manual and parts manual.

Let it snow.

/ Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate" #15  
I guess I can see that from an engineering standpoint -- the set-up you have has a single stress/breaking point, where the old system has two: in order for my shearpin to break, BOTH ends must shear off; with yours, there's only one shearing point. I suspect that having it parallel to the fan shaft and offset a bit also changes the force required to shear it. Makes it less, my guess, hence a smaller bolt with no notches necessary. Interesting alternative.

Agreed. I read somewhere here that the shear plate goes through less shear bolts. Hope that is true. In any event, being able to grab a standard Grade 5 locally when needed is another comfort.

As much as anything, this process got me straightened away with the proper user manual, so I feel better equipped for the future.

/ Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate" #17  
Just broke another one today on the “shear plate” I don’t know how many I’ve gone through now but it eats regular 1/4 bolts & this was the last one that my dealer gave to me after I complained about them breaking all the time. They break too easily just putting the blower in gear will break them, I’ve learned to reduce the engine speed to idle before engaging the blower, today it was just about 1/4 throttle and I thought I’d be ok but nope, bang it went again, no snow or load, the blower was raised up not even on the ground, empty of snow... this sucks, I’m thinking I might have to shut down the tractor, engage the lever then start it up, is anyone else having this problem with the 2360 blower?? I’m concerned about getting grade 5 bolts in case it damages the gear box.

...I'm thinking I might have to shut down the tractor, engage the lever then start it up, is anyone else having this problem with the 2360 blower?? I'm concerned about getting grade 5 bolts in case it damages the gear box.

Two things: First, the clutch-cutoff switch will prevent the machine from starting if the PTO is engaged. However, the manufacturer spec is for a grade 5 bolt. Anything less will not be enough. The shaft bolt from the older models is supposed to be a grade 8, so the specification is important.

Put a grade 5 bolt in and you'll be in better shape, I suspect.

Last edited:
   / Did Ya Know? MF2360 snowblower has a "Fan Shear Plate" #19  
Just broke another one today on the 都hear plate I don稚 know how many I致e gone through now but it eats regular 1/4 bolts & this was the last one that my dealer gave to me after I complained about them breaking all the time. They break too easily just putting the blower in gear will break them, I致e learned to reduce the engine speed to idle before engaging the blower, today it was just about 1/4 throttle and I thought I壇 be ok but nope, bang it went again, no snow or load, the blower was raised up not even on the ground, empty of snow... this sucks, I知 thinking I might have to shut down the tractor, engage the lever then start it up, is anyone else having this problem with the 2360 blower?? I知 concerned about getting grade 5 bolts in case it damages the gear box.

Get the proper bolt spec'd for this blower. The bolt should not be shearing from engaging the pto at any speed unless your fan or augers are iced up.