Did You See The Cicadas ??

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
There was a lot of talk earlier in the year about Cicadas but here in Northeast Ohio I have yet to see or even hear one this summer. I was planning on fattening up my Bass with them by using a few for bait. Have any of you other TBNers been plagued by them? If so did they do much damage to your property other than the mess? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #2  
Didn't see or hear any in Southeast Michigan.

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #3  
There were here in Maryland by the thousands.

Here are a couple shots of em: 1 | 2

They are now gone, only to return 17 years from now.

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #4  
We had bazillions of them here in Central PA. There was no real damage done (if you don't count the pencil sized holes they emerge from) and there wasn't much of a mess. The leaf tips on some of the limbs on the trees turned brown, but nothing major.

The sound was something else. In the evening it was the loudest. It was amazing listening to the sound of 1000s of insects rising and falling in unison. In Washington DC, they were so loud they 'violated' noise laws because the exceeded 90 db.

Our dogs liked to eat them, too, so we had to watch out for that. Didn't want partially digested cicadas appearing on a floor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My inlaws, who live just a few miles from us, did not have any cicadas and actually came to visit us, just to see and hear them. Their housing development is less than 17 years old, so the ground was disturbed, killing all the 'hibernating' cicadas.

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #5  
None here in N Indiana/SW Michigan. My family in Indy had them though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #6  
Saw them in Maryland. Don't know about the terrain around you, but they don't show up in open spaces much if at all. In the wooded areas, they were pretty thick.

Attached is a picture of the Nymph's shell the morning after it emerges from the ground.

Attachments

• 457777-CicadaNymph.jpg
    457777-CicadaNymph.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 144
   / Did You See The Cicadas ?? #7  
Here's the adult cicada after emerging from the nymph shell.

That's one BIG ugly bug. The adult in the picture is about 2 inches long.

Attachments

• 457779-CicadaAdult.jpg
    457779-CicadaAdult.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 158
   / Did You See The Cicadas ?? #8  
We're in Western Ohio w/18 acres of woods. I was expecting them by the jillions, but I doubt if we had more than half a dozen. You could hear the individuals very distinctly. I can't say that I'm sorry I missed them though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not very far away (within 12 miles) you could go by and they would drown out the radio with the windows up and the A/C on. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #9  
Nope, none here just slightly north of Pittsburgh. Have seen them in the past...so I guess the ones around here are on a different live cycle... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Did You See The Cicadas ?? #10  
Gazillions at camp in central PA - Raystown Lake area

As MikePA said, really wild sound. It reminded me of the sounds from the old sci-fi movies or the "Outer Limits" tv show. Really creepy!

At home, 30 miles Southeast of Pgh. - None this year, but we may have them the next go round. My 6 year old grandson, who is a bugaholic, decided to bring about a dozen of them home to show his mom.

After show 'n tell, being the good boy that he is, he listens to his mom's imbecile boyfriend who tells him to release them. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif What a moron!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (the boyfriend, not the grandson! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)