die grinder

/ die grinder #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I just got an air die grinder for grinding welds and was hoping to use tomorrow but I don't have an oiler in the air line. How critical is this for short grinding times? Will I ruin the grinder? And what about dry air? Is an in-line condenser essential?
Bob

/ die grinder #2  
Give it three drops down the air intake evey time you use it and you should be fine.

/ die grinder #3  
Pass on the inline oiler.. especially if you ever intend on painting using that airline.

Best method is a couple drops of air tool oil in the QC each time you use, then your sure its getting oil, and not getting over or under oiled.

Dry air is very important. Bare minimum would be a inline air filter. Dont need a desiccant or similar unless your painting.

/ die grinder #4  
thats all i do on all my air tools. a few drops before i begin, and a few after im finished. nail guns, finish nailers, sanders, chipping guns, air drills, impact guns.

have done this for many many years to no effect on tools. i have an inline air dryer (refrigerated) and i cant add oil into the system air due to the plasma cutter.

/ die grinder #5  
Very few people have inline oilers unless they are in a business that's running air tools all the time. Just a drop or two to start using an air tool is all that's needed, but perhaps a drop or two when you finish before putting it away is even more important to prevent any corrosion. One or two drops and one very quick blast of air to distribute it, then put it away.

Incidentally, while one or two drops is all that's needed, you cannot hurt it with too much oil. The excess will simply be blown out the exhaust. And while that will not hurt the tool, it might be messy on whatever that exhaust gets blown onto.:D

/ die grinder #6  
IF you ever consider a plasma cutting system, its a bad idea to have a oiler in the system.