Diesel 101 for a newbie

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #1  

chuckd1277

Bronze Member
I am keeping my eyes peeled for a used 1 ton, DRW, 4x4 with a dump body. Not anything that I need, but something that I want for some upcoming land clearing and landscaping. I have never owned a diesel truck before. The ones that I have seen in my intended price range (under $20k) have been 7+ years old with 70,000+ miles. Is there anything that I should look for or be aware of with these trucks? It seems like the majority of the trucks for sale have been Fords. I don't know the specific years but I know that they offered a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and a 6.0 liter? Is one better than the other? Other brands? Any input would be appreciated, I know this is kind of an open question. Also, I think I have read here that the newer diesel engines have emissions restrictions that have made them a little less desirable. What year did that start happening?

Thanks again,
Chuck

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #2  
The last yr for the 7.3 was 2003 I believe and it was in my opinion far better than the 6.0 and the 6.4 I know it gets better fuel mileage I put 240,000 mile on the origanal clucth on my 02 7.3 and got 16 mpg with a big work body on it and pulling a 12' inclosed trailer would occasionally get 18 mpg no trailer with 3.73 rear gears

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #3  
The 7.3 would be a FAR better choice if you go with a Ford.

A little research on the 6.0 will reveal what a nightmare they have been for many.

If you could find a truck with a 12 valve Cummins in it you'd really have a fine thing.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #4  
The 7.3 Powerstroke was available from 94 - 03, with the 99 - 03 years being the best of those. The 6.0, even though some people have had good luck with them, I would stay away from. To much is questionable from a reliability aspect IMO. I would also suggest checking out the 5.9 Cummins of any year. I own a 7.3 and two 5.9's, and both are excellent engines, but the 5.9's are the ones that have never left me stranded and I've never had to change a thing on either engine with a combined 243k miles, (176k on a 92', and 67k on an 06'). Not to mention, the torque curve on the 5.9 is much better when compared to the 7.3, but she's certainly no sloutch either.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #5  
Hard to go wrong with a Ford 7.3L I have had one and it got totaled out in a wreck. I have had 2 6.0L Fords with good luck but some have had issues.

If it were me I would look for a 99 - 03 F350 with the 7.3L If it were me though I would not pass up the 460 gas motor either. The guys who do our companies paving uses them. Yes the drink gas at 8mpg loaded or not but you can get the truck for 1/2 the price.

Chris

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #6  
You will get many different responses, most based upon hearsay. For those who have already made negative comments about the 6.0 I ask this - have you owned one? I have a 2003 excursion with the 6.0 and currently have 102000 trouble free miles. Mine is the first year of this engine. It is much more powerful and refined than the 7.3 (stock vs stock). From what I've found, many issues with the 6.0 are due to owners increasing power levels without performing supporting mods. I change the oil every 3k miles, fuel filters every 10k miles, and also have a coolant filter system installed. My only modification is a turbo back exhaust system. The main issues with the 6.0 are head gaskets and egr cooler failure - don't turn up the boost and your headgaskets should _be fine - egr issues may be avoided by adding a coolant filter or upgrading the cooler.

Have a ford dealer check the warranty repair history on any diesel before buying. Good luck!

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #7  
Had a 6.0 more power stock but great power to be made with 7.3 even a simple hypertech programer 100 hp gain no exhaust nods needed all in all the 7.3 is alot more dependable why risk I may get a good 6.0 when u have alot better chance on a 7.3 I put 290,000 on my 7.3 so far no engine repairs 1 clutch only problem I don't like ball joints at 110,000 and 250,000 miles

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #8  
I've owned 3 7.3 liter Ford trucks, the first has 315,000 on it, the second 170,000, and the third 193,000. If you don't have to have a 4x4, the price drops dramatically. When I was shopping for my last truck, 4x4 versions were 12-13,000 dollars and 2x4 versions of the same truck were 6-7,000 dollars. Like another poster said, gasoline powered trucks the same size were selling for around 5,000. If you're not going to be using it every day, fuel cost may not be as big of a deal.

The emission controls started sometime around 2008 model year, with DPFs (diesel particulate filters) in the exhaust. Current (2011 model) trucks have a DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) tank that must be filled with a special additive for the truck to function properly and meet emission standards.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie
Thanks for all of the responses. This info gives my search a little more direction. I'm not in a big hurry for the truck so I have the luxury of waiting for the right one to come along.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #10  
Like everyone else has suggested........ the 7.3 would be what you want. I have one in my 97 F-350 and it's been very reliable. I haven't owned a 6.0 myself, but everyone....... and I mean EVERYONE I know that owns one has done head gaskets or other expensive repairs.

As a side note, you are brave to want to own anything with dual wheels in Ct. ....... even if it is for personal use.