Diesel additive, is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #21  
This is a question that you should ask your diesel manufacturer, not members of this forum. The manufacturer should represent a pretty unbiased source of information on the subject. I doubt if anyone here has conducted scientific tests to see if this stuff is anything other than snake oil.

If you ask people on this, and other forms they will tell you it is cheap insurance, but it really isn't cheap on a per gallon basis. How do they know it is insurance? Well they believe it on faith. It looks like most people use it, so I should too. I guess I have bought into that logic. Certainly the additive sales information says that, but is it true? Have we all been duped by the snake oil salesmen?

I also use it in my tractor, but I never used it with my diesel car and truck which I got rid of 20 years ago, and they went a long way and never suffered engine failures.
Living in Michigan maybe you should do a test in below zero weather and not use any diesel additives and see if you get any gelling issues.I would also believe that diesel additives do not cause engine failures.coobie

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #22  
Actually, there is an easy way to test apart from any risk to your tractor. Perhaps we might just take a clear jelly jar, with 6 ounces of diesel and we would have a visual result that would be easy to see.

With the weather that's coming on, we might not have to wait too long to find out.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #23  
Actually, there is an easy way to test apart from any risk to your tractor. Perhaps we might just take a clear jelly jar, with 6 ounces of diesel and we would have a visual result that would be easy to see.

With the weather that's coming on, we might not have to wait too long to find out.
I agree on the weather,LOL.I use schaeffers diesel treat 2000 in all of my equipment and dodge cummins diesel p/u and have great results.coobie

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #24  
I've got a 200gal tank of heating oil - surplus after switching to electric heat. Can I burn that in my JD5300?

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #26  
Is it possible that the gas companies already put additive to the fuel for the winter season? Cause when I did ask my dealer what to do, their answer was to keep the water away and try to keep your tank full. Did not mentioned anything regarding Stabil or the 9-1-1 stuff.

Maybe our diesel around here contains the right stuff since were are in a Nordic country?
:)

Here's my take on this. The OP lives in PQ. There are hundreds?? of gas stations selling diesel fuel all year round. There are thousands of diesel trucks buying fuel from those stations every day - literally millions of gallons.

Do you suppose that PetroCan, Sunoco, Shell etc are delivering diesel fuel blended for the particular delivery area?

Do you want to bet that less than 1% of all those trucks ever put anti gel in the fuel?

How many diesel trucks does anyone see stopped on the road due to gelled fuel?

The MF2310 basically sips fuel. The OP can go to the station and buy 20 litres of diesel. The 2310 is in a heated shed.

Do any of you people seriously believe the fuel is going to gel up during a couple of hours snow clearing and stall his tractor?

Food for thought or controversy.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #28  
Living in Michigan maybe you should do a test in below zero weather and not use any diesel additives and see if you get any gelling issues.I would also believe that diesel additives do not cause engine failures.coobie

I don't use use additives to stop gelling in the winter, never have, never will. How much will the additive you use reduce the point (temperature) at which #2 diesel gels? If you don't know the answer to that question, then you are in the same boat as I am.

Instead, I use #1 diesel which has a cloud point of -40 F in the winter. Using #1 diesel eliminates the guesswork of the effect of additive on the gel point, or what the cloud point of so called "winter diesel " is. I wouldn't use my diesel at a temperature lower than -40 F. When it gets that cold usually you have crystal clear skies (i.e., no snow). I use an additive as a lubricant in #1 diesel.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #29  
I don't use use additives to stop gelling in the winter, never have, never will. How much will the additive you use reduce the point (temperature) at which #2 diesel gels? If you don't know the answer to that question, then you are in the same boat as I am.

Instead, I use #1 diesel which has a cloud point of -40 F in the winter. Using #1 diesel eliminates the guesswork of the effect of additive on the gel point, or what the cloud point of so called "winter diesel " is. I wouldn't use my diesel at a temperature lower than -40 F. When it gets that cold usually you have crystal clear skies (i.e., no snow). I use an additive as a lubricant in #1 diesel.
Sorry I am not a chemist,LOL.I have seen gelling issues with the diesel trucks we have at work in 10 degree weather.As I stated above to each his own if you want to use additives or not is your own choice,I prefer to use them.coobie

Status
Not open for further replies.